Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite Quarry
10-23-2003, 03:19 PM,
Re:Red Granite Quarry
There's also an underwater forrest on the back side of the quarry. We used to drive around to the back and enter there. I am not sure if you can still get back there or not. IT isn't as big as the ones in Wazze and it was about 70' down if memory serves me right.

THe deepest I have ever found is 120', and it was a black ooze that could such up all 100 watts of the cave light I was using at the time. There is a hole in ther ethat goes much deeper (168'-238' are the numbers that I have heard of), but I have never been able to locate it. I BELIEVE, but am not positive, that it is in the back left-hand side of the quarry where the boulders make up the wall. I did find a bicycle one time while teaching a deep diving class there one time- at 110'.

Best vis I ever had there was in Spring a week after the ice went out- we could see our bubbles break the surface from 88' down. A few months later I could barely see 5'. :-[

I thought that Dr. Dick Boyd, who works at Global, had a map of the quarry form when it was still dry. I thought that he was trying to put a book together about it, and other Wisconsin dive sites, about 10 years ago.

Jon
10-23-2003, 05:47 PM,
Thanks a lot. Those descriptions should help. I'm understanding that the side of the quarry closest to hwy 21 and Warren's Family Restaurant is the best place to put in and that there are relatively shallow depths in that half of the quarry. To get to the deeper arears I'd have to approach the far side of the quarry. Boats and snomobile are on the south side (close to where I'd put in).

That's what I'll go by. Again, thanks.
Mike
10-24-2003, 10:50 AM,
If you are looking for a good map check with the company that mined it If they are around check with the department of minerals for your state. Also check with the lease holder.
10-24-2003, 12:47 PM,
Just got back from Redgranite Quarry. It was a nice dive. Found the boats and the snomobile. Temp was 54, a little cool for diving wet but still spent almost an hour there. Viz was pretty good. Thanks again for the info. I'll definitely go back.
10-24-2003, 02:31 PM,
Glad the info helped - viz has really been good in that place lately!
10-26-2003, 07:34 PM,
Was at a Pumpkin dive on Saturday night. Some great pumpkins were carved. I was impressed. Good diving conditions.

Here is the pumpkin carving effort.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Connie_-_9_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.31 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-26-2003, 07:37 PM,
You can tell it gets a little kicked up down there. Here is the finished product nearer to completion.

.jpg_thumb   Pumpkin_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.47 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-26-2003, 07:40 PM,
Here is the final product lite up. Fun dive and a good time had by all.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Pumpkin_-_11_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.13 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-26-2003, 07:44 PM,
Further diving on Sunday found a bluegill that wanted to be photographed. They seem to be very skittish in Red Granite right now.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Bluegill_-_136_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.39 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-26-2003, 07:45 PM,
Had to sneak up with this young bass.

.jpg_thumb   Bass_-_92_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.76 KB / Downloads: 0)