Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite Quarry
10-07-2003, 05:53 PM,
Red Granite Quarry
Did some diving at the Red Granite Quarry. This was done in a wet suit as my dry suit is getting a new boot. Wet suit diving is no fun if you ask me. But better than no diving at all. The visibility was 20 feet and this made for a nice dive. Got some pictures of one of the shallow boats.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Red_Granite_Boat_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.78 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-07-2003, 05:59 PM,
Re:Red Granite Quarry
Here is a student diver next to another of the sunken boats. Not a bad place to do your open water dives

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Student_Diver_-_5_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.86 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-07-2003, 06:03 PM,
Here is Bob leading the students.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Red_Granite_Bob_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.23 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-07-2003, 06:06 PM,
Here is George swimming by. This was a good day of diving. Hope to go back yet this fall and find the fresh water jellyfish.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Red_Granite_George_-_4_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-11-2003, 09:02 PM,
Spent a couple of dives in Red Granite looking for fresh water jellyfish. No luck. Did have some nice diving with good visibility. Got a picture of a smallmouth bass with rocks and weeds that I liked. Could not get a picture of the trout, just not enogh light at that depth.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Bass_-_81_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 40.97 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-11-2003, 09:06 PM,
We were supposed to have a pumpkin carving contest, but only Barry and I were there. So we dove instead. Here is Barry in the water.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Barry_-_2_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.98 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-11-2003, 09:10 PM,
Here is Barry inspecting the wall. This is typical conditions in Red Granite. This was some nice conditions. May go back to the quarry on Sunday for some more Jellyfish searching.

See you diving.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Barry_-_4_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 35.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-12-2003, 02:34 PM,
My dive buddy and I stopped by there on our way up to Pearl Lake yesterday. We didn't see anyone there and assumed that we missed it.

Our main plan was to go up to Pearl and freedive/spearfish. We had a great day. We spent over 5 hours in the 61 degree water and caught some really nice Perch, Blugill and Crappie. I can't believe that I have never been to that lake before. It's so nice and quiet- not to mention clean! It is also the perfect lake for using a Dive Kayak on as we saw only one public access point.

I'd like to get back up there pretty soon, but it looks like the Madison lakes are now clearing up and we'll be hitting those pretty heavy until the good vis goes away.

Jon
10-12-2003, 04:02 PM,
A quick shot of the lake.

jon

.jpg_thumb   Pearl_Lake_email.jpg_thumb (Size: 11.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-12-2003, 05:31 PM,
Sorry to hear that we missed you at Red Granite. We were in back where the dumpster is and is accessed by a dirt road. This is on the other end from the parking lot just off of Highway 21. Saw some nice trout, but I believe that there are rules about that. Wink

From the picture, I think at Pearl Lake you went in at the public access on the north end of the lake. I prefer to use the boat dock at Pearl Lake Resort on the south end. They charge $2, but they let you use the bathroom and the dock. They are diver freindly and you are in nice fish country 20 yards off the shore.

This lake has quality diving in the summer when most lakes have gone green. Also, has nice panfish and crappies to hunt.

Hope you enjoyed the diving and maybe see you their next year.

Doug