Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite Quarry
10-19-2003, 08:17 PM,
Re:Red Granite Quarry
Or put a small bluegill with the European weeds and you can get a good looking scene.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Bluegill_-_121_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.19 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-19-2003, 08:22 PM,
It turns out the boats in Red Granite are in good shape and like most fresh water artifacts will last forever. Here is the first boat from the big jump. This boat has a nice selection of stereo gear in it. I can only guess how all of this stereo gear got in the lake.

.jpg_thumb   Boat_-_11_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.88 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-19-2003, 08:27 PM,
The second boat is not near as well equiped.

I do not have pictures of the third boat. I have yet to have enough light and good enough conditions to get a picture. Usually there is too much silt. Someday I will hit this one right and get a good picture.

.jpg_thumb   Boat_-_10_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-19-2003, 08:30 PM,
The fall colors are hard to beat this weekend. Here is the turtle's eye view.

.jpg_thumb   Autumn_Trees_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-19-2003, 08:35 PM,
This is what the bluegill sees.

.jpg_thumb   Autumn_Trees_-_5_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-19-2003, 08:37 PM,
This is what that lousy deep diving trout sees

.jpg_thumb   Autumn_Trees_-_3_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-19-2003, 08:48 PM,
Awesome photos Doug. I had a good time diving out there today...I'm slowly starting to warm up to Red Granite - I used to hate the place, but I'm slowly starting to enjoy diving there. It was good to see you out there too.
10-19-2003, 08:50 PM,
Here is my diving buddy from today. Little did he know when we teamed up that he was going on a hour and twenty minutes dive around the whole perimeter of Red Granite Quarry. We saw all of the sites and it made for a nice swim. He also shows that a little color can be added with the proper wet suit.

Good weekend for diving. Hope that you got out. If not, I hope you were shooting turkeys, especially the suicidal ones.

See you in a lake.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Tyler_-_5_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.16 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-23-2003, 01:56 PM,
Is there such a thing as a contour map of the quarry? Or can anyone explain to someone who has never dived the quarry what to expect from depths to where to find the boats etc? I'd like to dive it with a buddy tomorrow (Fri.) Neither of us have dived it yet but sounds like a fun dive.
10-23-2003, 02:36 PM,
I don't know about a contour map, but it's a pretty small quarry so fairly easy to describe.

If you go to what I would consider the "main" entrance - this is the one with dumpsters by it and ample parking on dirt, take a left after the restaurant - also an easier entrance - it's a stepped decent.

You start out in fairly shallow water and it drops down quickly to about 20 feet. If you go to the right you will find the two boats - one which has a radio/stereo on the bow. If you sweep back and forth slowly moving out out you will also find the snowmobile in about 25 feet of water closer to the right side.

As you move farther across to the other side of the quarry the depths will increase in steps. I think down to 40, then it drops pretty quickly to 80 and black goo on the bottom. It is VERY black and VERY easy to silt up down there. I know there is a hole that goes down to about 115' but I personally have never been there. I have really only dove the quarry ice diving or DM'ing classes so I don't have a HUGE knowledge of the whole quarry.

If you start on the other side by the restaurant - taking a left before the restaurant when going through town - you can get in back there but it's pretty much a quick decent down to 80 feet and then you can tour the bottom...kinda flat, not much exceptional to see.

I know you can also tour the entire quarry on one dive (about 80 minutes) if you stick to the 20-30 depth range.