Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite Quarry
10-12-2003, 05:59 PM,
Re:Red Granite Quarry
Doug, I P.M.'ed you.

We went in through the public launch because we didn't know any better. Didn't use the bathrooms since we were diving in wetsuits. Wink

We paddled to the west end of the lake and saw lots of nice bluegill and crappie, plus at least one monster bass. We shot some nice fish and I just got done cooking them up for dinner. ;D

Your right about not spearing trout. There are lots of things that you can't spear and a few things that you can. We go after the panfish because there good to eat. Come winter we'll spear a couple of carp because one of the ladies in our Underwater Hockey club smokes them for us.

Bass are every where and seem to know that they're safe since we almost have to push them out of the way to get a good shot at the crappie hiding in the back of the school.

Our dive kayaks worked out perfectly for the lakes up there. It's quick to launch, you can tow them along with you, and they let you get back into to small shallow areas that a normal boat won't. Plus, they're a heck of a lot cheaper to run than a regular boat. 8)

After checking the LAKESAT.ORG site it seems that you have a lot of really nice diving lakes in that area. It's also a good deal closer than Wazee, and has better fish life in it. They are also a nice depth for freediving. With those depths we average 45 seconds on the surface and 1:15 on the bottom. They are all shallow enough that we can keep this up for hours. By the end of the day we get almost 40 minutes of every hour spent underwater- and dinner to boot!

There are a lot of other nice looking lakes up that way. Have you been on Wood Lake or Silver lake? We also thought that Pleasant lake looked good- not the one in Waukeshau county but the one bu Coloma.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   kayak_launch.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.21 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-12-2003, 06:38 PM,
I'm going to be diving Red Granite next Sunday...glad to see the viz is looking nice!!
10-12-2003, 06:39 PM,
I have not tried out the lakes near Coloma. I have heard good words about Wood Lake but have not had a chance to dive it.

We tend to go further north and dive Long Lake, Gilbert Lake, Huron Lake, Adams Lake, Fountain Lake and others.

None of these lakes hold their quality like Pearl Lake.

For more information of the lakes that we frequent, check out

This is where I put most of my information.

Panfish are the best eating.

Doug
10-14-2003, 06:51 PM,
Took in Red Granite on Sunday before the Packer game. Conditions were still good with temperatures of 60 above the thermocline and a nice variety of fish going around. Student divers were on there check out dives, which made for a nice photo.

.jpg_thumb   Student_Diver_-_10_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Student_Diver_-_10_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-14-2003, 06:57 PM,
The student divers did well and there were plenty of fish to see. Lighting conditions were good and so I got a good variety. Here is an example of the bluegills on the wall.

.jpg_thumb   Bluegill_-_110_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 29.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-14-2003, 07:00 PM,
There is a pile of brush below the cliff that contained some nice fish, such as bass

.jpg_thumb   Bass_-_85_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 26.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-14-2003, 07:01 PM,
and perch

.jpg_thumb   Perch_-_2_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.37 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-14-2003, 07:04 PM,
There were trout that took great enjoyment in following you around. It was a very nice day.

.jpg_thumb   Trout_-_5_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.74 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-14-2003, 07:08 PM,
When the weather is nice, it is hard to pass a good dive. Looking at a lake like this makes you just want to jump in. See you in the water.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Red_Granite_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.81 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-18-2003, 02:32 PM,
Nice day to go diving. Went to Red Granite to look for freshwater jellyfish and take pictures. Dive class was also there enjoying the water conditions. Water clarity was good and a few fish were still around. Nice diving conditions.

Investigations were made by the divemasters, trying to find a quick entry method that saves strokes and walking around. ;D Here is the problem. :o

.jpg_thumb   Red_Granite_Launch_Pad_-_1_copy.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.22 KB / Downloads: 0)