Remember me
Lost Password Register

devils lake
10-01-2003, 06:42 PM,
Re:devils lake
Devil's lake is one of the busiest around for check out dives. Here is a fellow that I popped down on while he was getting ready to do a mask clear.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   check_outs.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.81 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-01-2003, 06:43 PM,
Sometimes people get a little bored and start to build things underwater. Maybe this would work in Wazze since nothing man-made would have to be added tot he water. Wink

Jon

.jpg_thumb   rock_pile.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-01-2003, 06:49 PM,
Even if the diving isn't the most challenging, it's a great lake for snorkeling. I can't remember the last time I acutally dove it on scuba, but it is a great place to take people freediving for the first time.

It also has these great bluffs and a nice campground. It is the rock climbing headquarters for the state and at just over 1 million visitors a year is our state's busiest park. If you haven't been there it's worth a weekend camping trip just to hang out and go for a hike.

BTW: no gas motors are allowed on the lake and you don't have much to worry about in the way of boat traffic.

You MUST have a dive flag or they will ticket you- I think that it's up to $120 ticket if your caught without one!

Here's a gratuitous shot of my new monofin. ;D

Jon

.jpg_thumb   split_mono.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-01-2003, 09:32 PM,
I have been in Devils Lake several times but the visibility was not very good. Looking forward to the positive effects of pumping the lake. Like to swim in lakes that have some geology. I am sure that I will be making my spring pilgrimage next year.

Yes the bass swim right with you in this lake. Must be a food thing.

Doug
10-02-2003, 04:10 PM,
i too have dived devils in less than perfect vis, ( the week after the big flood of 2000) vis was about 3 ft. but, i have also floated through the weed beds on the south end when the vis was roughly 20 ft. i have spent a lot of time wandering around the woods over the last 10 years, and done my share of climbing as well. i believe it ranks as the most visited state park in the midwest.

now, the next question? is anyone interested in posibly diving there sometime next week? i have a week of vacation coming up, and would love to try to fitr a dive in somehow.
10-02-2003, 04:53 PM,
here's a nice pic from above. says something for the beauty of the park/local area

.jpg_thumb   dlpostcard.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.54 KB / Downloads: 0)