Remember me
Lost Password Register

devils lake
09-28-2003, 02:46 PM,
devils lake
hey all, just wondering what the conditions are at devils lake . thinking about making a pilgramage, and wonder if it's woth my travel time
09-28-2003, 02:55 PM,
Re:devils lake
I just got out, about 2 hours ago, and the vis isn't too great, less than 10'. On the bright side, the water temp is 61 degrees. It seems that the lake is starting to turn over right now.

Jon
09-29-2003, 05:22 AM,
The visibility in Devil's Lake went down drastically about a week ago. I would put it at about five feet and even less. Recent high winds probably aren't helping it any. I would go to Wazee instead. Hopefully things will improve there in a week or so.
09-29-2003, 06:14 AM,
Is there really anything to see in Devils Lake?? Everyone I've talked to about it kinda describes it as a big fish bowl...flat and boring.
09-29-2003, 07:54 AM,
I don't think it is boring at all. Yes, if you get away from shore, the lake bed is boring silt. If you dive either the west shore or east shore, the huge rocks make it interesting. The smallmouth bass are sure to follow you around and become quite interested if you turn over rocks to expose crayfish. They may even snatch one out of your hands. Lots of other fish: bluegill, rock bass, etc. too.

If you like to dive deep, this is not the lake for you. Deepest part is 45' with most dives in the 20'-30' range.

There are also weedy areas that hide fish as well. Most of the summer vis was around 15' but as I just posted, now it isn't good at all.

If you haven't dived the lake, I would recommend you do so either later this year or next.
09-29-2003, 07:20 PM,
i agree with mike,
devils lake is an entertaining dive, especially with all of those trained bass looking for a handout. i've been rushed by the lil buggers wanting food. agreed, the middle is just silt, but the overall beauty of the park and the nice part of the lake has my vote. and even at 5 ft, it has my local dive sites beat all to hell right now.

;D
09-30-2003, 05:48 AM,
Well dang. I'm going to get to it one of these years!!!

I've missed the past two events that the Central Wisconsin Scuba Club has had out there because I've been shipwreck diving. Granted, I'd rather dive shipwrecks but still - I want to make it out there to try it Smile
09-30-2003, 08:37 AM,
Omicron,

You might want to look into the Trash and Treasure day that Three Little Devils dive shop has each year. It is usually the first Saturday in Sept. There's food, prizes and lots of people diving the lake to clean it up, etc.

Just a thought.

Mike
10-01-2003, 06:34 PM,
This sin't the best picutre since there was less than 10' of vis on Sunday, but you can see how the broken rocks tumble on down from the shore right into the lake.

The vis for most of this past summer was a good 25', as measured by both the university and me on seperate occasions. Big Grin

As their pumping project continues over the next few years the vis should top 50'! Right now it is kind of lousy because the lake is about to "turn". On the bright side, the thermocline is at 35' which is almost the bottom of the lake.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   split_rocks.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.92 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-01-2003, 06:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2003, 06:40 PM by FreediveWI.)
There are a ton of bass in the lake that will come right up to you. Lake Monona, in Madison, has bass at least twice this big but the vis is so lousy that you normally can't see them.

Devil's lake also had trout introduced into it this spring. I guess that it's nice for the fishermen, but they are pretty much all dead by now as the lake isn't deep or cold enough to really support them.

I was kind of bummed out when they planted them because that means we can no longer spearfish in Devil's Lake. It used to be a great lake to spear bluegill and crappie in because they tasted so much better than fish speared in other lakes.

BTW: You can't spear bass in Wisconsin because they are too stupid and would impale themselves on the tip of your spear if you let them.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   bass_DL.jpg_thumb (Size: 26.12 KB / Downloads: 0)