Remember me
Lost Password Register

OK, How about Dry Suits?
02-16-2008, 09:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2008, 09:24 AM by matt t..)
Re: OK, How about Dry Suits?
My DUI IS tough  Tongue, and it has some BIG pockets.
[/quote]

Yeah, you have the CLX.  It is really nice that you are going to carry the argon bottles and stuff in your fancy new pockets.   There might even be room for a 14cuft one in there.   

If anyone is considering adding pockets to their suit, and has enough equity in their house for a home equity loan, consider the Halcyon pockets.  They are really nice, and maybe not THAT expensive!
[/quote]
You get what you pay for with pockets. The 5th D pockets everyone had were cheap enough. Didn't last long though. Four out of six have been replaced. Scotts were in bad shape after 1 year and will also need replacement if he ever uses the suit again. Maybe he DID carry extra bottles in them  ;D. Home equity loans are for rebreathers, not pockets.
02-16-2008, 02:34 PM,

I'm not a fan of the FifthD pockets either - a set came on a used set I bought a few years ago.  They were in perfect shape when I got the suit and, less than a year later, the bottom had nearly ripped out.  Admittedly I did occasionally put weights in them (sometimes a 2-3 lb one for trim), but not all that often (maybe a half dozen times max) and I would think the pocket should be strong enough for that.  The bottom of the pocket is pretty flimsy material and it's so ripped and ragged now, it's only really good for holding my notebook.  Even pencils fall through the bottom.  I've been meaning to sew a piece of 2" webbing into the bottom to reinforce it, but the pockets are really just not very tough...

Ethan
02-16-2008, 04:32 PM,
I sure like my DUI 450 CLX It keeps me warm an that warm neck collar is tough to beat!  My dive buddie has the 200 with no warm neck collar an doesent like that cold transition very much.  I also love the idea of zip seal's for the neck an gloves.  When I was looking everyone compared there suit's to DUI so I went to the top an haven't had any regrets or issues.  An I do like the rock boots!  Up here DUI is the suit of choice for most of the dealer's.
Jeff
02-16-2008, 07:53 PM,

I'm not a fan of the FifthD pockets either - a set came on a used set I bought a few years ago.  They were in perfect shape when I got the suit and, less than a year later, the bottom had nearly ripped out.  Admittedly I did occasionally put weights in them (sometimes a 2-3 lb one for trim), but not all that often (maybe a half dozen times max) and I would think the pocket should be strong enough for that.  The bottom of the pocket is pretty flimsy material and it's so ripped and ragged now, it's only really good for holding my notebook.  Even pencils fall through the bottom.  I've been meaning to sew a piece of 2" webbing into the bottom to reinforce it, but the pockets are really just not very tough...

Ethan
[/quote]
I hadn't really put anything heavy in my pockets at all, just the usual mask, liftbag, notebook, etc. The inside backing material on the nylon was always de-laminating and I was sewing the corners and patching the insides every few dives with Aquaseal. Finally bit the bullet and had the Halcyon Explorer pockets installed a few weeks ago. They look to be very well made and BIG.
02-16-2008, 07:54 PM,
Where are you located?
02-16-2008, 10:02 PM,
Up north in Merrill WI!
02-26-2008, 07:17 PM,
dry suits
is anyone aware of a dry suit manufacturer in Milwaukee?
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM,
Re: dry suits

Manufacturer, no..repair facility, yes.
02-28-2008, 07:47 PM,
thats what i figured. i've worked with several of the repair services. a dive shop in green bay was trying to tell me there was a factory in milwaukee too.
02-28-2008, 09:33 PM,
Tell them that we have lots of factories, but none of them make drysuits ;D. What are you looking for?