Remember me
Lost Password Register

OK, How about Dry Suits?
01-26-2007, 04:49 PM,
OK, How about Dry Suits?
I am looking to purchase a dry suit in the upcoming year and I don't know much about them. I have limited money but would not be against buying a unit that will cost a little more if there is a good reason as to why. Any and all suggestions are welcome here.
01-26-2007, 05:42 PM,
Re: OK, How about Dry Suits?
Define limited money.    Based on how much you use it, a good drysuit should last many years and several hundred dives.  I had my first suit for about 10 years.  My first was a Typhoon, which I don't think you'll find in the US.  I now have a Bare Trilam-HD.  Many of my friends have DUI suits.  There have been some discussions on this board about suits.  Do a search and see what you come up with.
01-26-2007, 05:48 PM,
I forgot to mention that you should make it a point to attend a DUI Dog Days event.  They have several of their suits on hand to try before you buy.  Although they are held all over the country, the closest one that I'm aware of is at Lake Wazee.  It isn't on the 2007 calendar. 
01-26-2007, 06:07 PM,
Theres alot of things you can get a deal on online, you could do this with a drysuit but I wouldn't recommend it.  This is an item that needs to fit properly to work well.  Some shops will even throw in a few charters and instruction on how to use the thing.  I would recommend you visit three or four dive shops and see what they have to offer.  You may pick up a good used suit this way.  
    You most bang for the begining buck is probably going to be neoprene.  These suits are generally less expensive(not crushed neo though) and hold up well enough for the average bloke.  A friend of mine dives dive an O'Neill he picked up for $600.00 brand new.  Another dives BARE and those run around $900.00, I think.  Don't quote me.  One big advantage to Neoprene is you done need to have ultra expensive under garments.  Polypro under garments found at Sherpa's down in Milwaukee and a jogging suit will take you a long way.  
      I dive a dive concepts Z-Flex.  This is a trilamenate suit that features a zipper across the chest for self donning.  Alot of suits are shoulder zip and you have to rely on a dive buddy to zip them for you.  The trilams are great suits, but they require a complement of undergarments for insulation and these can get pricey.  
     I think the least expensive DUI suit is there TLS 350 and that weighs in at a hefty $1400.00.  They are good suits, but its like buying a Nikon camera compared to a Minolta.  Both work very well, but you pay extra for the Nikon sticker.

Jim
01-26-2007, 06:30 PM,
Take a look out on equipment for sale - I have a bares dry suit up for sale - how tall are you?
01-26-2007, 06:35 PM,
I am 5'7" and wegh in at 200# I wear a 32 waist in a pair of wranglers.
As far as how much green stuff...... I would like to keep it under 1400 but would really like it under 1000
thanks for the sugestions so far
01-26-2007, 06:42 PM,

You should be able to get into a decent tri-lam suit with insulation for $1400.  The Bares will fall into that range.  Where are you in the state?  Divepoint Scuba in Stevens Point is a Bare dealer, and I think they may have some rental/demo suits.  Greg at Shipwreck Adventures is a DUI dealer, but I'm not sure you can get into a DUI for $1400. 
01-26-2007, 06:53 PM,
I live in northern IL, but do travel to Madison on a regular basis to see my mommy. I try to get up to Wazee at least once a year and often dive Devils Lake.
01-26-2007, 07:49 PM,
This is an interesting topic, i here this same question dozens of times per season on my charter boats from people just like yourself.

Here is my advise, look at buying a Atlan crushed 4 mil suit. You can get into a custom for a $ 1000.00 and its a great suit and you will not have problems with it. Order it with Latex seals both wrist & neck in front self donning or back zip. Front zips are great but they put added strain on the zipper.

Go to   models are cc40fz or nsc40bz 

If you get to the point you want to buy call John at IID in Glen Ellyn IL  or Jeff at Drysuits plus in Milwaukee

Both of these guys are great to deal with !

Capt Bill Prince

Bill@nordicdiver.com Smile Smile
01-26-2007, 08:01 PM,
The last I saw of the Harvey's Aqua Capsule 1/4" neoprene was $990.

Just make sure you have quit growing before you buy it.  I got my first one too young and grew out of it.  And that was expensive at $550 in 87.  I normally wear just running tights and a t-shirt under it.  The thermocline will still be a shock on decent, but once you start swimming around, you will get hot quick.
DEW >&ltWink)>