Remember me
Lost Password Register

OK, How about Dry Suits?
07-05-2007, 01:13 PM,
Re: OK, How about Dry Suits?
Another good place to looik is they have good suits at reasonable prices. I have dove mine (a Bare NexGen) at temperatures near 40 degrees with no problems (even in Rock Lake). They also throw in the undergarment and a 5mm dry hood.

Mike
02-14-2008, 12:34 PM,
Well, it has been a year and I am more or less happy with my choice but I have another question for all of you in here.
I am looking to upgrade to a different dry suit as I know have some time in one and I better know my likes and dislikes. So I am currently looking to get a new unit. I am leaning to the tri lams, but I have never dove with one before. Can any one in here please give me the pros and cons for this purchase. I understand they are more $$$$ but I think they are longer living due to their construction. I have had issues with decent rates with the 8mm neo I currently own and I  am not sure I want another neo. I have had a great season diving with it, but I am ready for something new. Any help would be nice. Thank you, James
02-14-2008, 04:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM by matt t..)
When using ANY drysuit you need to stay ahead of the curve when descending and ascending. With a proper fitting tri-lam you should have better mobility than a thick neoprene suit. Tri-lam suits allow you to use different insulation for different water temps. The top companies I would recommend are DUI, Diving concepts, and Bare. They all offer several different suits with a bunch of options at different price points. I would especially pay attention to the different boot options offered. Many of the boots out there will not allow you to use a variety of fins due to their size. Also take into account that you will have to buy insulation ($100-$400) and possibly new fins ($50-$150). Before buying try to dive a few different suits.
02-14-2008, 08:24 PM,
I think I have my eye on a pinnical Evolution trilam. It is some money but I think I was given a good price if I choose to buy it. Any thoughts on this? I do not think I want to go all the way to a DUI but I do want a tough suit.
02-15-2008, 05:17 AM,
The Pinnacle Evolution's are pretty nice suits.  I know several divers that have them.
02-15-2008, 05:19 AM,
No need to go "all the way to a DUI"  ;D. The new Pinnacle's look to be a well made suit. The pockets I saw are tiny, but maybe they have larger ones available. Just make sure ANY suit you buy fits well. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you  Wink.
02-15-2008, 07:08 AM,
I'm not sure tough and DUI should be in the same sentence.  I haven't used the Pinnacle, but the Bare Tri Lam HD would definitely fall into the tough category.
02-15-2008, 10:07 AM,

It really depends which DUI model you are talking about.  The TLS is definitely not as tough as the Bare Tri Lam HD but it dries quickly and is excellent in the mobility department.  The DUI CF 200 and CLX 450 rank up with the Tri Lam HD as far as material quality/durability but for the price the Bare has them beat.  I have both a DUI TLS 350 and Bare Tri Lam HD and they are both great suits but each has their advantages and disadvantages.  I prefer the Bare for winter and tough condition (river and rocky entry) diving and the DUI for summer and deep diving.
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM,
My DUI IS tough  Tongue, and it has some BIG pockets.
02-16-2008, 07:54 AM,
My DUI IS tough  Tongue, and it has some BIG pockets.
[/quote]

Yeah, you have the CLX.  It is really nice that you are going to carry the argon bottles and stuff in your fancy new pockets.  There might even be room for a 14cuft one in there. 

If anyone is considering adding pockets to their suit, and has enough equity in their house for a home equity loan, consider the Halcyon pockets.  They are really nice, and maybe not THAT expensive!