Remember me
Lost Password Register

dove Sunset this weeekend
01-18-2004, 07:18 PM,
Re:dove Sunset this weeekend
In the water conditions were nice. A balmy 39 deg F. Visibility was 10-15 feet which is not as good as we had hoped for. Not a lot of things to see. Some neat little purple worms the burrow in the mud were noticed. Did not get a good picture.

Here is Jason against the ice. You can see he is having a great time.

Hope that the rest of you got out this weekend to dive your favorite spot. The sun was out and the lake was calling. Who would want to be home on a day like today? In front of a warm fire, lying on a bear skin rug, and, Oh well never mind.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Jason_-_43_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 40.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-18-2004, 09:00 PM,
Looks like you folks had a pretty decent dive. Better than the dive that I had.....no dive..... Sad

I had thought about making the trip up to Sunset today to dive with you but I wussed out with the thought of -15 wind chill factors. I had planned on either getting out and ice racing or ice diving this weekend and neither happened. Took the kids to Wisconsin Dells for indoor waterpark fun on Saturday though, so the weekend was not a bust after all. ;D

Todd

01-18-2004, 09:12 PM,
As long as water was involved, it was a good weekend.

Doug
01-19-2004, 09:33 AM,
It was an okay dive. We put our hole in the wrong spot, so we didn't have much to look at except for mud flats and the occasional log. It was kinda dark and murky too - glad that I took along my light.

One thing that was interesting - as we were going along the bottom, I thought that my eyes were deceiving me - it looked like the muck was moving on me. We were only at 35 feet so I knew I wasn't narced Smile

It turned out to be these little pink worms. You'd see them in patches - a whole bunch of them sticking up out of the muck - it looked like pink translucent grass. As soon as you'd hit them with a dive light (not physically hit them...just shining the beam on them) they would all suck back into the muck making it look like the ground was moving.

Anyone have any ideas as to what they might have been???
01-20-2004, 10:43 AM,
I asked my freediving buddy about this, since he works for the university as a fish biologist, and he thought that they wre probably [b][chironomids/b].

He also attached this photo.

jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   chrinomid.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.36 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-21-2004, 09:09 AM,
That could be - I couldn't get close enough to them to see if they had the sectioned body like you show in that picture...I should see if I can bring up a couple of them next time I'm there.