Remember me
Lost Password Register

TV show
08-14-2003, 04:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2003, 04:34 PM by FreediveWI.)
TV show
The FOX network has a Saturday morning kid's adventure show . They called up my friend Gert, who owns Deep Blue, to do a segement on kids wreck diving in Lake Michigan.

Gert just happened to have two kids who fit the bill perfectly. Acutally, there skills were better than many tec divers I know- great trim, line free ascents while under control, ect.

Next they needed a boat and an underwater photographer. In steps, my father-in-law, Jerry to provide the boat and shoot the underwater video.

I went along as crew and freediver support. Wink

You couldn't have asked for a nicer day out on the lake. It ws FLAT calm and the water was a balmy 68 degrees down to 90'- as deep as we could get. IT was so warm that I did the second wreck in my swiming suit.

The first dive was on the Willy and the second was on the Dredge #6. Vis was good, but not great like in the winter time. When the water warms up that much the vis seems to drop to around 30'. A fair trade-off in my book.

Here are some shots of the day.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   filming_kids.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.42 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-14-2003, 04:35 PM,
Re:TV show
Here they are filiming the Captain's segment.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   jerry_interview.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.69 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-14-2003, 04:36 PM,
The director giving her overview.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   director_overview.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.23 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-14-2003, 04:36 PM,
Filming Gert's predive briefing.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   briefing.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.47 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-14-2003, 04:38 PM,
Gert and Jerry ready for a fun day on the water.

The episode won't air until Feburary. I guess they film these things pretty far in advance.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   gert_jerry.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.02 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-14-2003, 07:10 PM,
Milwaukee goes Hollywood.

Great to see some interest in the diving and wrecks of the big lakes. Usually we are forgotten in the Midwest.

Doug
08-15-2003, 09:00 AM,
That's pretty awesome...dang, to be that age and starting out diving - wish I would have started a long time ago.

Cool stuff - if you hear when that thing will be on the air let us know. It would be fun to watch.