Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wreck In Wazee? Might Happen
07-20-2006, 05:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2006, 05:16 AM by mrclean.)
Re: Wreck In Wazee? Might Happen
Wreck sunk in Wazee!!!

Last night the boat was sunk in Wazee.  The proposed resting place was Sherwood Forest, nearby the training platform.  However, due to boat landing conditions the boat needed to be dropped off the wrecker flatbed at the far boat landing and then towed across the lake to the mooring.  The boat immediately filled with water upon entering the water and sat very low in the water.  The Dive Unit used the Sheriff's boat/Dive Team Zodiac with a 50 horse motor to slowly, very slowly tow the boat across the lake.  We were all taking bets on it sinking in the middle as they slowly moved across the lake.  That would have been disappointing if that happened, especially since Channel 13 out of Eau Claire was there filming (expect a feature at 5:00 or 6:00 pm today).  But the boat finally made it to the mooring (concrete culvert that was moved into position two weeks ago).  As low as the boat sat in the water, it was still floating and we had already filled a bunch of sandbags to place in the holds to get the boat to sink.  We ferried approximately 3,000 pounds of sandbags and placed them evenly throughout the lower areas of the boat.  Then the two lift bags that were holding the boat up in the water, were slowly drained and the boat sank gently to the bottom landing totally upright on the sandy floor in 31 feet of water.

Exact location is about 50 yards beyond the training platform.  If you follow the Sherwood Forest berm to where it levels out, but not over the berm you will find it, especially if you keep the platform to your left.  Expect the wreck to be bouyed by the end of the week.

My thanks to Keith Cormican for taking the time and expense to make this happen and we now have something to dive on in Wazee.

A couple of us plan on diving on the boat this afternoon and I'll try to get some shots posted.  A word of note.  The ships wheel that was put into place is not the original ships wheel.  It is there for decorative purposes only and has no historic value whatsoever and we are hoping it stays where it belongs.

Again a successful operation and many thanks to all who made it happen.

Andy
07-20-2006, 05:02 PM,
Where's the training platform?  Where's Sherwood Forest?  I lost the map I had last year. Smile
The only good diver is a wet diver.
07-21-2006, 05:38 AM,
From where can we get a map?
07-21-2006, 06:31 AM,

Along with John's book that was mentioned a few posts down, there is a large (11 x 17 maybe) laminated map available.  Deep Blue used to have them, I don't know if they still do.  The name of the place in MN that distributes them...oh wait, Scuba Dive and Travel....
07-24-2006, 10:05 AM,
I never thought I’d see the day.  Would this boat work to satisfy the requirements for earning a wreck diving certification?  I remember when I first started diving Wazee, the Sherwood Forest area was a little know secret.  It was a great place to dive when the area by the wall was packed with students.  Recently it seems with the improvements to that area (dock, toilets, pavement, etc), that place is now always packed with divers, kayakers, and fishermen on the weekends.  Many times we dive by the boat landing although there’s not much to see there just to get wet and avoid the crowds.  But most of the time seeing nothing is better than crawling over other divers.  This brings me to the point I’m trying to make.  Why did they decide to sink this boat at an already popular site that has many attractions rather than sinking it in a site that has little else to see and add another interesting dive site to the map?  I’m sure they pondered all the possible sites and I’m curious how/why this site was chosen.
07-24-2006, 11:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2006, 11:26 AM by LKunze.)
All of the sites have similar things.  You can find a wall at any of the accesses...even the South Boat Launch access.  There are trees at Sites 1, 2 and Sherwood.    All of the accesses have training platforms and fish cribs.  Am I missing something?  It really makes no difference where they put the boat in my opinion.
07-27-2006, 03:16 PM,
So, does anyone know if it has been bouyed yet?  Does anyone have an underwater pic?  Can't wait to see it.
07-27-2006, 09:06 PM,
Yep the wreck is buoyed.  The white bouy about 50 yards past the dive platform buoy off Sherwood.

Haven't gotten around to downloading my pictures that I took last week on the wreck.
07-30-2006, 09:05 AM,
We saw it yesterday, but forgot the camera.  It's pretty nice; we played around on it for a while.  Thanks to Keith for his efforts and expense in getting us something else to see.
07-31-2006, 03:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2006, 03:33 AM by mstrdvr.)
Anyone going to wazee on aug.4 or 5 ? My daughter was certified (certifiable) last week and wants to explore what I have been telling her about. I will be there either Fri. P.M.(6-7:30) or Sat. A.M. possibly both. I can't give a more accurate time on sat. My friend has a cabin on the river nearby if someone has a time ,maybe it can work out. I would love to see this boat, my thanks to all involved in this project. I rarely get the chance to dive Wazee so this will be great.
                              Randy
WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T DIVE!