Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Wazee
03-17-2005, 08:01 AM,
Re: Lake Wazee
Yes, just to reiterate the other posts, Wazee Sports will be having an ice dive social at Wazee Lake on Saturday the 19th.  Holes will be cut around 10:00 and we plan on cutting two holes.  Same format as usual, hot food and drink $10, ropes, harnesses provided, etc.  Come for some good food, diving, and cameraderie.  Hope to see you all there.  Sounds like it might snow or rain.  Rain or shine it will be a good time for one last ice diving opportunity this winter.
03-17-2005, 11:32 AM,
Will he be diving on Sunday as well?
03-17-2005, 04:18 PM,
I'll be up there Saturday as well with my buddy Isaac and perhaps 1-2 more divers from Madison.  I'll be bringing my digital camera, so hopefully I can get some underwater photos.  Any guesses what the viz will be?

Ethan
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM,
Just Saturday as far as the organized ice diving sponsored by the dive shop.  Sunday would be on your own.
03-17-2005, 05:42 PM,
Andy - thanks for letting me know.  One of my friends thought they were going to be out Sunday as well.

We'll see everyone out there on Saturday!
03-18-2005, 09:31 PM,
Well, they're predicting 14-20 inches of snow tomorrow at Wazee and along our route, so our making it up there (in a 2WD open diff pickup) is looking unlikely.

Ethan
03-19-2005, 06:46 AM,
Just to anybody who might be wondering what the weather is like this morning (Saturday).  The snow has stopped and the ice dive is still a go.  There will be plenty of snow to shovel out on the lake as we got over a foot yesterday.  Today the weather is supposed to be decent...low 30's with some wind.  Come on out.
03-20-2005, 02:39 PM,
How was it?  It was such a beautiful day down here - I'm feeling dumb for not even trying to make it up.  But that truck is scary in the snow and I heard some horror stories from folks in Iowa who were hit by the storm.

Ethan
03-21-2005, 09:27 AM,
It wasn't bad at all.  As usual, the whole thing was set up really nice - good food and warm drinks as always.  My first dive was cut a little short - my dive partners wrist seals were a little goofy and he had a full flood up both arms to his chest.  Brrrr. 

Our second dive was much better - we had pretty good vis down to about 80.  It's weird though - my last dive @ Wazee last year in open water was disappointing - we tried going to the ball, but the viz was so bad that we aborted the dive.  We were hoping that it was just lake turnover doing that...

So we went for the ball again during the ice dive.  We found it on our first dive, but it was a CHALLENGE.  The viz was only around 5 feet, maybe.  It's just this thick haze in the water that you can't see through...I really, really, really hope that it clears up come summer.  I'd hate to see my favorite diving place turn into pea soup!

Other than that though, the diving was great.  The viz about 100' was stellar as usual.  Thanks to everyone that helped make it fun!
03-25-2005, 12:42 PM,
Sounds like the ice dive at Lake Wazee was a good time.  Wish I could have been there, no wait, I was diving in Bonaire, nevermind.

I hope that the haze clears up at depth, it is probably those nasty gnomes stomping around.

Doug