Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR Details
12-04-2003, 07:30 PM,
Re:DIR Details

I'm dumping my 401K this year and spending all the money on sets of doubles Tongue
12-04-2003, 07:30 PM,
When diving a long hose without a light canister I use my snorkel to hold the hose in place.

I use a cheap one , with no bends in it or valves on it, tucked into the inside of my waist strap. I then wrap the snorkel keeper over the belt webbing to make sure I don't lose it. The hose wraps around the snorkel just like a cansiter. It works really well and keeps me in PADI guidelines when teaching classes.

Jon
12-04-2003, 08:30 PM,
Thanks for the tip jon. I'm diving my 7' hose w/ out a canister light so that'll come in handy.
12-04-2003, 09:09 PM,
I think that I may have a couple of snorkels laying around collecting dust somewhere. Gonna have to try that. Thanks for the tip

Todd
12-08-2003, 06:01 AM,
The other benefit, if you are diving in the PADI system, is that you are not outside of standards when you either take, or teach a class.

The standards say the you must have a snorkel with you, not necessarily where you need to mount it. What would be fun would be holding that arguement with a traditional open water instructor or DM Wink
12-08-2003, 07:51 AM,
Some one may have finaly comeup with a good use for a snorkel.
12-09-2003, 04:02 PM,
I have sea snips attached on my harness sitting just to the left of my crotch strap. I can easily loop the 7ft hose around the sea snips holder. This works really well. Many of my buddies have a knife mounted there instead of the snips.

Of course, why waste a good reason to buy a cannister light. Wink
--Jason
12-10-2003, 05:56 AM,
Speaking of a good reason to buy a cannister light, Halcyon introduced a new Proteus 3 light, that will retail for under $500.

It is a 10 watt HID with lead acid batteries, the only difference is that the beam will not be adjustable. It isn't out yet, but we have one on order for the store.
12-15-2003, 06:02 AM,
Stage Bottles
Lets keep this going. How about looking at decompression diving and stage bottles. Switching to the wrong gas at depth probably kills more experienced tach divers than any other cause. When diving with a DIR system, stages are labeled only one way.

The side of the tank has the MOD in at least 3 inch labels, set up so that you can read the inside label and your buddy can read the outside label. The neck of the tank has a piece of duct tape that lists the mix, date mixed, initial of analyzer, mix and MOD.

You carry all of your tanks on the left side and have the first mix you will use on top. When you make your gas switch, you

1. ID the tank from it's labels
2. Deploy your regulator, bring it around the back of your neck and hold it in your right hand.
3. Tap the purge while watching the pressure fall (You pressurized the reg and turned it off at the start of the dive)
4. Turn the valve back on place the reg in your mouth and start breathing.

You do NOT rely on the color of the second stage, which side you have the gas on, a rubber band on the mouth piece, the flavor of the mouthpiece, or any other such nonsense.

If you are using the correct aluminum tanks, you can easily dive with several 80's under your left arm without any balance issues.

Also, the regulator has the pressure gage on a 6 inch hose bent back on itself and secured to the first stage and the regulator is on a 40 inch hose, so that it fits around your neck when in use.

Speaking about the regulator, an upstream reg (Read Poseidon) has no place on a deco bottle, as if it fails, you don't get any gas. If a downstream reg has a failure, you can still use it by simply manipulating the valve for each breath. I can tell you this works because I have done it.

Also, the bottle needs to be rigged with cuttable links, ie. no metal to metal connections, so that if you jam a clip, you can still get rid of the bottle.

Well, that should get us started, please reply with any questions, or comments. If anyone would like pictures, let me know. (Of the equipment configurations that is)
12-15-2003, 07:51 AM,
Re:Stage Bottles

The other reason not to have a Poseidon on a deco bottle is that when you turn the reg on underwater (step 4 in Gert's post) it takes off until you get it in your mouth or manage to get your hand over the mouthpiece (I think that would work?).

I haven't really figured out a good way to do this with a Poseidon. I like the way they breathe, but this is a PITA.

I currently have a Sherwood Brut for a deco reg. It isn't ideal, but it is what I have for right now.