wiscuba.com
View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue (/showthread.php?tid=1434)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - Chris H - 06-05-2007

Good answer Todd. Good Answer!  Anyone else?

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - captkathy - 06-05-2007

;D

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - xlmba - 06-06-2007

When I was just a newbie diver.  I looked up to those with all that equip. and tech equip.  Only to find out that the next week one of those divers solo'd and had that stupid final mistake with time to think about it.  How sad.
    I do buddy dive at all times when possible.  We all look out for each other and have helped others with a slipped tank or bad boyancy problem. Whatever.  These little problems to a seasoned diver can become a major with a newbie.  So keep a good eye out and help them.
    I was diving with a new dive buddy.  Hanging 3min at 15ft and seeing him sinking quickly.  Quick decissions and little time.  As it goes he was paralized and couldn't move.  Stopped breathing 3 times.  After 3 days he was fine except for a little slurred speech and some movement.  All because of some serious meds he told no one about.  I hear he's fine today. 
    I still look for those quiet seasoned divers for a dive buddy when on vac.  And actually shy away from those who think they know everthing about diving.  I'd rather help an excited newbie.  But the Great Lakes divers are the most seasoned divers that I know of anywhere.Thanks for your view points.
                  Time to go diving !  Got to go.  Mike B.

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - Swimjim - 06-06-2007

A little off topic, but don't be fooled by divers with alot of, especially shiney new gear.  It just means they have disposeable income and has little to do with proper training in it's use, let alone real life experience.

Jim

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - xlmba - 06-06-2007

Not off topic at all.  You have a good point.  Mike B.

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - Vtach - 06-06-2007

It is unfortunate Mike that someone you knew lost their life while diving.  It is definitely sad, but chances are that it was some form of diver error.  I don't think it is fair to generalize that it was because of technical diving.  Regardless of what level certification someone has, if you start breaking commonly accepted rules and training guidelines, you are just rolling the dice.....  It all starts with overconfidence and not recognizing or understanding the limitations of your mind, body and equipment.

Its good to hear that you were instrumental in saving someone.  Your quick actions probably meant the difference between life and death for that individual.  That was a pretty crappy position for him to put you in.  It is unfortunate that the individual was not a good buddy and saddled you with that responsibility.  I believe that it is good "buddy protocol" to inform the person you are diving with of any condition or limitation that could possibly have an impact while underwater.  You have options at that point.

Unless you know all the people on the boat, you are taking your chances with "insta buddy".  If you want to reduce your chances of getting a dud for a buddy, look for the people who are NOT constanly screwing with their gear and don't have crap strewn all over.  The people who are experienced know boat etiquette, get on the boat, stow their gear and get out of the way.  They are prepared before getting on the boat and are usually hanging out watching for the divers who demonstrate clusterf^ckery.  So if you want to dive with the experienced folks, do the same and they will probably find you.  Otherwise, introduce yourself, be honest and ask questions, just don't get hung up on a "mouth". ;D

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - Vtach - 06-16-2007

Good dive buddies in action. ;D

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - matt t. - 06-17-2007

When were you and Trey in Thailand?

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - DiveCaptDean - 06-18-2007

[glow=red,2,300]Oh my..."Broke Back Reef"[/glow]

Xlmba-
I cant say that i agree totally with you...some divers that talk..do so because they love it..not all divers are in a constant state of Zen....you are correct that you should steer clear of the know it all diver and certainly those that are critical of others.  You wouldnt rely on someone like that as a friend, then why a buddy.  I have had alot of divers on the boat and have had a chance to see many types....There are those like a couple dive masters from Chicago that talk and talk and "rocket popped" because they ran out of air after 20 min on a 55ft wreck..apparently a hp80 carries less air than an alum. 80....there are those like a group from Buffalo that talk and talk because they love to, were not the greatest divers, but practiced good, solid safety techniques and had nice dives( recreationally)and then there are those like( sorry guys) Matt and Chris.  who talk and talk are are among the most prepared, solid, safest divers you will find...I have not had them on the boat for any of their DEEP stuff but their extended dives on some of the deeper recreational dives provides an opportunity to see what a solid dive plan and solid buddy skills can do for you..even though its difficult to dive BUDDY when technical diving..and you just cannot rely on someone to pull you out of a mess when there are such things as deep stops and a series of stops compiling a decompression schedule, when technical diving is done correctly, a buddy system can effectively be used.....much of it is above water in preparation and mind set......I dont know where your numbers came from, but it makes sense that more dive accidents happen to those that are certified beyond AOW.    think about it...( and i will take it to the agencies here)..what are the requirements for AOW......."Open water"..what are the requirements for anything further than that?????.........AOW...and manyt hings like ice..wreck....deep.....dont require any special pre-reqs..........but keep in mind.....these certs are just to get you started...its your responsibility to get out and dive and improve your own skills and to make yourself safer...also think about it this way....OW and AOW divers do the vast majority of their diving above 70ft..and for sure mostly above 100ft..unless they have been diving a while and just choose not to pay for more certs.....these are pretty safe depths  and when kaka hits the fan....they can make it to the surface..alone if need be..without too much danger.....a dive that got his wreck cert or deep cert..is likely to not be able to just jump to the surface..may be in a wreck....or may be a little too deep to just pop up..these factors can easily add to he numbers of accidents comapared to divers that arent as certified..these folks are doing more stuff..this is the nature of the beast........Divers that dive technically..usually are( and there are exceptions) the most prepared and safe divers out there...as well they should be..its a mind set issue as i see it..a proper mind set is the true deciding factor....this will greatly reduce the chance of catstrophic issues.......also.....you stated that the divers with the least accidents are those with certs of OW or AOW......they practice the buddy system..... they may forget...they may not be the best..but they do practice it.......if your numbers are correct... then why would this be a bad thing in a normal reacreational dive......buddy diving is a necessary..especially in recreational diving....i think that quick certifications are the true culprit of false security......regarding diving with someone you dont know....dont dive..if you arent comfortable with it...there is no forcing issue on boats....i have never seen a captain or crew..anywhere say anything similar to.." hey...you cant sit out this dive...Billy Bob needs a partner"..i greatly respect the diver than will sit out a dive after a 25 minute boat ride...just beacuse they something didnt feel right...to me this proves a divers worthyness..i have only had a couple of recreational divers do this..( usually related to waves..) an a couple of much more technically advanced divers just say..." you know what.....this just doesnt feel right"..i even had one guy who got into his dry suit..twin helium rig..argon ..deco sling..get off the boat on a hot day and realize that even though he was in the water...he had worked his ASS of to get ready on this 90 plus deg. day and the energy that he spent was taxing enough that he was not going to risk a 70 minute run time to 120ft..he got out of the water...I have the absolute most respect for this fellow..what a perfect mindset....some of the technical divers may know him..without names.."DMC"  those that know him..understand what kind of diver he is......MINDSET..MINDSET..MINDSET..the most important quality of a safe diver..everything else falls in line after that.....I hope we all could just dive safe..talk or no talk
dive accidents just arent cool...

By the way..did i mention[glow=red,2,300]......."BROKE BACK REEF"[/glow] ;D

Re: View Point- The Dive Buddy issue - DiveCaptDean - 06-18-2007

"Matt and Chris who talk and talk"

Sorry a correction..i didnt want this taken wrong...Matt and Chris talk and talk about diving..preparation...and planning.....they talk about diving and their love for the wrecks they have an plan to dive...they do not talk out of their arses..nor do they find the need to provide unwanted education to other divers...I have always enjoyed having them both around....they are the tyoe of divers that any capt would like on their boat....