wiscuba.com

Full Version: Presque Isle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Matt, Chris and I spent some time in Presque Isle (Lake Huron) wreck diving June 4-9.  We dove the Cornelia Windiate, Typo and SS Florida.  The weather was obviously better up there than we had around here.>Big Grin  Again, the visibility was stellar with it ranging from 80-100+ ft.  Temps were 37-39 on the bottom with a slight but very welcome thermocline of 44-46 degs at 30 feet.  We were diving 18/45 backgas with 50% and 100% O2 for deco gas.  We followed Buhlman tables with 30/95 gradient factors and ran bottom times of 30 minutes at 180ft.  Run times were around 80-90 minutes.  Here are some links to earlier pic's of the wrecks taken by friends of ours Tom Wilson and Vlada Dekina.  They took more pictures on this trip but probably won't be posting them for awhile.  The wrecks are just amazing.

Todd,
  Seeing stuff like that make the money it cost to transition to tech seem well worth it.  Hopefully in the next year or two I can see that for my self.  Hard to concentrate on traing when you have visions of pristeen wrecks like that.
Jeff
It takes a lot of dedication and money (equip and training) to really enjoy wrecks like this while still maintaining a good safety margin.  It is completely worth it.

We had a great time.  Presque Isle is, so far, my favorite place to dive.  I enjoy the schooners, but the Florida is unbelievable.  I hope to do many more dives on this wreck before I am through.  It is amazing to see the change in Zebra Mussels compared to the pictures in the links.  They are good for vis, but not so good for seeing the details.
[/quote]I have the equipment Except the right fins!  Need to find the perfect fit.  I am working on the education! An I have the dedication.  All it takes is money an time.

Be safe!
Money is the hard part >Sad.
Excellent, I have Jets and they are the shizzle.  Sounds like you are on your way to seeing some cool wrecks, good luck!!

[/quote]I have the equipment Except the right fins!  Need to find the perfect fit.  I am working on the education! An I have the dedication.  All it takes is money an time.

Be safe!
[/quote]

Excellent dive report and pics! Thanks! I have more places now to add to my dive before I die list. You guys are motivated over here!
Glad to hear you had some good dives. Wish I could have been there. This weather has been something else. Were you able to get out every day? Fortunately they are not long boat rides. Hope the water didn't get too rough for Matt!

Doug,
Sorry we missed you.  We were blown out one day.  A lot of fog and scary freighter horns the first day, blown out day two, slight chop on day 3 although the forecast said 2-4ft and nearly flat calm on day four. 
Pages: 1 2 3