wiscuba.com

Full Version: Rock Lake diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I am intereseted in putting together a dive in Rock Lake. I have heard about the supposed ruins on the bottom of the lake and want to take a look for myself. I realize the best time to dive is also the worst temperature wise (late fall before the ice or early spring after the ice) but shoot, have dry suit, will travel.

Anyone interested in acting as "guide" to some southern divers up for a look? We all have experience in limited visibilty we dive Lake Lanier year round with visibility in the 5-10 foot range on good days...and...we dive all year round with a new years day dive as an annual event.

I really want to pull this off but at that time (or times) of the year we would need a local to help out with boat leases and such since the "tourist" season is usually over.

Thanks!

Mike Ault
Just out of curiousity, where is Rock Lake? 
There have been a few threads on Rock Lake and the "pyramids" on here in the last couple of years. Widiver_Paul in particular did some research. Do a search and it'll come up.
There are several good books on the subject. I will get you the titles and author tomorrow if intersted. (I have to find them at home). One in particular describes how they were discovered, the investigation into their Indian origins and the diving conditions. The author write about how some of the pyramids are completely covered  in silt. They show up on sonar due to the sonar penetrating the silt layer, but when the divers go to find them, they can not. Quite interesting reading, although I found some of the book difficult to follow due to my lack of knowledge of Indian history and culture.
For more information, check out: if you have not already.
Wasn't there also a TV program not too long ago?  On the History Channel perhaps?
I dove the "pyramids" back in the early 90's- they weren't much to write home about. This time of year is also pretty bad as far as boat traffic and vis go.

Having said that, if you go in the spring the vis can be fantastic- over 20' and the lake is great for spearfishing. There are some nice weed beds along the northern shore where you can hit lots of crappie and a few of those pesky carp. The south eastern portion of the lake also has some nice cribs for spearing as well.

If your looking for pyramids I consider the lake to be pretty much of a yawn, but if you want to get out and do a little spearfishing it's actually pretty darn nice- in the spring.

Jon
I realize we aren't talking Giza or Chichen Itza here, I just want to catch a glimpse of them maybe catch a few shots of the "piles" and take a look at some of the Pukaskwa pits. It is more interesting than the dead trees and mud at the bottom of Lake Lanier! Any one dove the sites of the effigy piles (turtle and headless man?) I wasn't planning it until just before the ice or just after....

Mike
It looks like you have all the information you need....but the book I was refering to is "The lost pyramids of rock lake" by Frank Joseph. He also has a sequel to it, which I never read.

Omicron

The idea of diving this came up once before but it never ended up coming to anything.

I'd be interested in diving this as well, just to satisfy my own curiosity.  I've heard so much talk about it, but have never really seen any good pictures/video of it, so I'd be up for seeing it with my own eyes.
Toucan Diving in Lakevilla IL has set up trips there in the past  and actualy did a special intrest spot on one of the Chicago TV stations about a year ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5