Remember me
Lost Password Register

Just wanted to say hello!
05-17-2006, 02:48 PM,
Just wanted to say hello!
I just found you and am glad to meet you all!
I got cretified last summer at Wazee and promptly went in December to dive in Nassau, Bahamas Smile 
It was awesome!

I am going to AR to dive with some friends this weekend, which I am really looking forward to!

I was wondering if anyone has any dive site ideas that are close to Racine, WI with decent visibility that is not as far away as Wazee (and is not Lake Michigan) - looking for something to drive to and from in a day.

I'm not quite ready to venture into Lake Michigan with my buddy yet.

Thanks!
Anna
05-17-2006, 04:04 PM,
Re: Just wanted to say hello!
Welcome to the board Anna.

What is AR?

You can dive to and from Wazee in a day...makes for a lot of driving, but it is doable.  Haigh Quarry is closer to you than Lake Wazee, but you have to go through Chicago to get there.  Pearl Lake is another one that is closer than Wazee.
05-17-2006, 04:43 PM,
Yes I know its lake Michigan, but the Lumberman is close to you and its an easy dive.  I think it would be worth a charter for you. 
    Everything else is a haul.  Haigh Quarry is so so.  If your going to the trouble you may as well head to Door county and do some shore diving.  Much better all around. 
    What ever you do get out there and dive!  Lake Michigan is closer then you think.  Just dive safe.

Jim
05-17-2006, 05:28 PM,
Even though you are aprehensive about the big lake, yo may want to make plans to dive it soon.  It will be difficult to find an inland dive that will have comfortable viz for you.  Racine quarry lake park on 38 is a good dive, but viz is probably less than 10ft right now...Lannon quarry up in Menomonee Falls is very often dove but viz is less than that now. Pearl is a hour away..maybe 50 minutes for you but i hear viz right now is the greatest....Lake michigan has alot of shallow dive sites that will give you 20 of viz or better and you will go down on a line and up on a line..you will be around a wreck all the time so will always have a focal point and a point of reference..you should try to gillen tug..one of the willie barges..these are very esy dives and are in 60 to 70 ft of water..the
Willie( prins willem v is a great dive but may be too big a boat for you on your first dive...You cannot beat the Viz..you will want to go on a very calm day..this will help relieve you of an anxiety that you may have....as long as you take it slow you will  be fine...also contact underwater connection in menomonee falls....and ask..they go out wednesday nights for a single dive and can have an instructor on the boat to dive with you...check it out..
good luck and happy diving
05-17-2006, 06:24 PM,
OK, I did my best to not recommend Lake Michigan in the first post, but since the others have chimed in, you really need to consider it.  We are lucky enough to have some of the best fresh water wreck diving in the world right in our own back yard.  Or close to our back yard....

The others have given great advice.  Go out and dive.
05-17-2006, 08:16 PM,
I can't agree more with Chris, Lake Michigan is just plane good diving.
The Best Around Here!
You can't beat some of the charters: The Willie ect..
You can also do a couple of cheap shore dive to get your feet wet;
Or as mentioned Pearl Lake.
Its Open, $20.00 to dive for the day and they have
Sunken Stuff... Boats, Buses, Small Planes ect..

[glow=red,2,300]Pearl Lake, South Beloit, Illinois[/glow]
Directions from Downtown Milwaukee:
Take I-43 South to Beloit (approximately 70 miles)

Take I-90 South toward Chicago (approximately 2 miles)

Take Hwy 75 toward South Beloit. This is the first exit after you get on I-90 (approximately 1 mile)

Turn Left at Hwy 51 South (3 blocks)
Turn Right onto frontage road at first opportunity and continue South (1 block)
Turn Right into Pearl Lake entrance.

We are Blessed with many  top notch dive choices in this area!
E-mail me if you need a Dive buddy for Pearl Lake or some of the charters,
The Suns Out- Kinda Sorta & I'm ready to dive!!!

Rik O+<
05-18-2006, 07:21 AM,
Anna- welcome to the board.  We need more women on this board Smile. But, the guys are great to answer any question.

I live about 1 hr south of Ashland and don't get down your way too often.  Perhaps we can meet up at Wazee this summer.  We go a few times with a Saturday nite motel it.

gail

05-25-2006, 02:53 PM,
I dove Nagawicki Lake yesterday, just north of I-94 in Delafield.  Visibility was 25 feet and water very clean and not bad temp with my 7MM wetsuit.  I was really suprised.    You can dive from the county park beach or if you have a boat launch at park and dive the around the island. 

I do have a boat and I can always use a dive bud.  Just shoot an Email  to me at yh500psi@yahoo.com before conditions deteriorate. 

GOOD DIVING!