Remember me
Lost Password Register

IMAX film crew
04-26-2007, 04:39 PM,
IMAX film crew
I ran into a IMAX film crew in Shawno yesterday.  They were filming the spawning sturgeon just below the dam.  The camera housing looked to be about the size of a 36 gallon air compressor tank.  The crew told me that it is the only one of it's kind.  After buying my Gates, I'd hate to think about what they spent on that.  They were also shooting with what looked to be a Canon 1Ds MkII housing and an Amphibico HVR-Z1U housing.  I only got to see one spawning group at the landing.  But it's pretty much over for the year.
DEW >&ltWink)>
04-26-2007, 04:44 PM,
Re: IMAX film crew
04-26-2007, 08:33 PM,
Where is this place?  Sounds like a cool place to dive.  Is it good diving year round, or just good for winter diving?
Life's Short, Dive Hard
04-26-2007, 08:39 PM,

It is at a park in Shawano.  I have only been there in the winter.  Visibility was 6 or so feet and the water was about 33 degrees the last weekend of December and first weekend of January.  Swimming with the Sturgeon in their natural habitat is one of the coolest things I've done.  Do a search on this board for "wolf river" and I think you will find some pictures and additional details.    I think the diving conditions will vary greatly with the water level and the amount the dam is open at the site.
04-27-2007, 09:14 PM,
No wonder my map program didn't recognize it, the 'a' in the middle was missing from above posts.  Looks like a bit of a cruz.  Is anyone familiar with diving here in summer?  How about current?  Do you need to tether yourself to shore or anchor of some sort?  I saw the pics, definitely on my list to dive.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
04-28-2007, 05:56 AM,
Current was noticeable, but not bad. We only saw 1-2 other fish when we were there back in Dec. I would "think" that it's best in winter. I'm not sure what your thoughts are, but I wouldn't think it a good idea to try to dive there this time of year with all of the attention. I obviously don't know the DNR's position on diving there, but I can see a possibility of them thinking that the divers are disturbing the sturgeon and banning diving there. Just a thought  Smile.