Remember me
Lost Password Register

UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall
07-18-2003, 12:02 PM,
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall
I wasn't pushed into buying the SmartCom at all...it was more my own decision after seeing it w/ other people. I honestly liked it, but now...nahhhhh.
07-18-2003, 12:35 PM,
We have at least a dozen dive shops in the Twin Cities. The majority of the shops cater to people going to tropical destinations. We tried to figure out how many certified divers actually dived locally. Our best guess was around 1%.

I can't blame some of the local shops for not understanding the gear needs of local divers. They are just trying to meet the needs of their market. I was in one shop last week where they had never heard of a bolt snap before. Once I explained what it was they couldn't understand why I would need one. We represent a very small fraction of a typical dive shop's "market".

I was certified aboard a charter in grand cayman. They separated the people that had dive computers from those that did not. The people with dive computers were able to stay down longer. So, when I went to buy my first set of gear I wanted to buy a computer so I could stay down longer too. I'm happy with the purchase. But I would probably be happier if I didn't know about the alternatives.

We need a dive computer that can be easily upgraded and controlled by the user. The computer should have a USB or wirelesss connection to communicate with your PC and download updated algorithms, dive tables, notes, etc. You could connect to the internet to automatically download updates directly from the manufacturer rather than having to ship the unit back to the factory. You could generate tables in dplan or other software and upload into the computer.
--Jason
07-18-2003, 12:49 PM,
It's very true what you say Jason.

When you get certified, and want to buy gear, the advice is usually on a mid-range reg, jacket bc, split fins, and a computer. There, you're all set.

Thank god I had friends pointing me in the right direction. And honestly, I really wouldn't want to dive w/ out my computer anytime soon. I like it too much.
07-18-2003, 12:50 PM,
Jason,

The fact that the local shops didn't promote local diving is a sad testament to the sport. Local divers are active divers, and they end up spending more money in the shops than tropical divers so the stores can make enough money to survive without overselling anyone.

We are blessed with some of the best freshwater diving inthe world in this area and it is a pitty that more people don't promote it. The more divers that dive it, and see how fragile it is, the more people we could get to try and defend it when it comes under attack.

I almost like the British BSAC system better. You learn to dive in a club. You gain experience slowly with other, more senior, club memebers helping you alnog the way. You use the club's gear and you do most of your dives locally. The divers were much more acitve and worked to get into the water on a more regular basis. Some of it (BSAC) is a bit restrictive, but it got people diving on a regualr basis adn it made sure they were comfotable at one level before they sent them off to the next- no one pool session OW classes here.

The diving in the Great Lakes is also so much better now than it was 20 years ago. Where we once had 5'-8' of vis we now have 40'-80'. The water in August gets warm enough to be able to dive in just a swimsuit- last August we had 70 degree water down to 60' in Tobermory and I have seen 68 degree water down to 93' in Lake Michigan. That make sit better than divng in Southern California which has thousands of divers!

If someone is new enough to want to dive a computer they can do it for a lot less than $900! A simple Suunto Misquito will start you off on the nitrox route and can be switched into gauge mode when your ready. I am sure that there are other, even cheaper, computers out there that would do the trick.

Jon
07-18-2003, 12:54 PM,
My LDS actually pushes local diving quite a bit - a bunch of trips up to the great lakes every year, they do a good job.

As far as the computer - like I said, it was no one persons decision except for my own, and I still don't regret it honestly (barring the recall). I liked the backlighting, I like the Nitrox functions, I liked the IR transfers - it's really a nice computer. The only real gripe I had w/ it while I owned it was that it was a console - I would have preferred wrist.
07-18-2003, 01:19 PM,
I have a Smartcom as well. It locked up as I was ready to get into Lake Superior and dive the Mesquite. Not exactly the greatest timing, but I guess it was better than having it fail on the dive. I have changed my mind about air integrated computers, but I still like the Smart series interface and the data it gives during a dive and after. It is fun to download your profile to a PC for a log book instead of scribbling something illegible on paper. As for price, I am one of the lucky ones who has ties with a dive shop. I didn't pay anywhere near $900 for the computer. As for cheap DIR, has anyone seen the Halcyon price list lately?
07-18-2003, 01:31 PM,
Chris,

I actually decided that I didn't want another SmartCom....I'm going w/ a different brand altogether from here on out. I made enough of a stink @ Scubapro and they are going to give me credit for the computer.
07-18-2003, 01:51 PM,
I would like to comment on this thread both on a personal basis as well as the owner of a local dive store.

On the personal side, I have known Jon for at least 6 years and in that time, I have never known him to be anything but helpful to those that asked. Also, no matter where I have encountered him, he ALWAYS earned his keep.

Jon definitely has some very strong opinions, as I have found do many local divers. He is also willing to share them with those interested. That is what makes his posts so good.

Jon and I both believe strongly in the precepts of DIR and one of the fundamental ideas of DIR is simplify, simplify, simplify. This does not mean don't buy equipment, it simply means don't buy equipment that you do not need, and don't buy equipment twice. Believe me, there is plenty of equipment out there to buy even if you only spend once.

The advantage of this approach is that you have money left over to go on local diving charters, get quality training and still purchase equipment appropriate for your diving environment. I believe it is an increased appreciation of local diving that will help local stores stay in business.

For everyone's information I have attached an excellent article by Jarrod Jablonski, president of Global Underwater Explorers. It is called the bakers dozen reasons not to dive computers. If someone would like to start a discussion on computers in the technical forum, I would love to take part in it, it is getting pretty lonely over there.

Now, as a store owner, do we carry computers? Of course we do. I believe that computers have their place. I also believe that there are functions that are best left to the diver. When new divers ask what piece of equipment they should buy first, I do not say a computer. I would rather have them develop an understanding of the tables that are behind the computer first. Will I refuse to sell one is the customer insists? Nope, but I will make sure that they understand the trade offs.

Do we sell 900 dollar computers? Yes again, but we only carry one and most of our computers are in the 300 -500 dollar range. I would much rather sell a customer a 400 dollar computer, (or a watch and a depth gage for even less) and a 500 dollar regulator setup rather than a 900 dollar computer that has functions that they don't need. It is this one-on-one type of customer service and expertise that will allow local stores to differentiate themselves from internet merchants. This is part of the value that a local store brings to the table that no internet reseller can touch!!!!!

I really enjoy reading this forum and hope that we can keep the personal stuff on out of the forum and on the bathroom walls where it really belongs Wink. everyone has interesting opinions, and I love a good fight, as long as we stick to the facts.

Attached Files
.txt   Bakers_Dozen.txt (Size: 2.6 KB / Downloads: 54)
07-18-2003, 02:08 PM,
Gert,

Definitely! I'd be interested in discussing some of these things...

And, interesting points on dive computers. A lot of it seems to boil down to the "computers rot your brain" argument. My tables go w/ me wherever I dive. I like looking at them and seeing what I'm diving, what my pressure groups are, etc.

But, if I were to want to cut my own tables, using VPlanner (which I've only recently gotten the chance to play with - cool stuff!!) or something similar, I'm technically not fully qualified to do so as I'm only a PADI trained rescue diver...nothing more. Irregardless of this point, what about when I just want to dive? I just want to throw on my gear and make a dive, I don't want to put all the work into it...that is what is nice about computers (to me).
07-18-2003, 02:08 PM,
My SmartCOM locked up 2 weeks ago and was sent in before the recall. I know that several of you on this chat thread have the same experience. I plan to stick with the SmartCOM as it provides the features that I am looking for and I like the console type of computer. I have not lost faith in the company but I am not happy about the recall. This computer is still the right blend of features for me at this time.

I still like the idea of having the computer down there with me. I know that Jason and I would have had substantially different dives on the Vienna last weekend if we had not been using computers. I do the calculations for multi-level dives often. Need to learn more about calculating decompression dives.

Well enough ranting. I leave for the Grand Cayman Island tomorrow. Plan to dive until I am a prune. I will be using a computer and this will increase my dive time from 30 to 50% (from 20 minutes limit without to 30 minutes on wall dives and from 30 minutes without to 45 minutes on shallow dives.) I will be one of the first off of the boat and THE last back on. Will post notes on my sufferings during the week.

Doug