Remember me
Lost Password Register

Backplate Sidemount Rig - complete!
05-07-2006, 04:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2006, 07:40 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Backplate Sidemount Rig - complete!
Some of you may have heard about the rig i've been working on that I just finally finished up today- backplate sidemount!

I already have a Thomsen sidemount rig, which is a modified Ranger BC. This works great, but I started dreaming about a way to mod my backplate so I can have the same rig to go back and forth to backmount and/ or single tank with. Especially nice is having a good place to mount the light, backup lights and rings in the same place when diving either. The best part is having good places for reels, a scooter ring and a streamlined frontside.

And you can't ignore the benefits to your back of having the weight off of it.

We've got east coast friends using a sm rig to get into tight spots on the Doria and other wrecks to get stuff that nobody else has been able to get to over the course of 20+ years that divers have been stripping it.

Major mods included:

-  stitching web loops on the edge of the BC to secure the bc to bp webbing and "suck" the sides in. Important when sidemounting. You don't want a wing flopping around.

- creating a "back bar" to sandwich the wing and take the place of the tanks that normally keep it in place.

- clip-on bungee loops for the tank neck. Keeps the tanks sucked up close under your armpits, where you want them.

- attaching a floating butt plate with rings on the bp. Neccesary to distribute the weight onto your hips and lower back instead of your waist when horizontal and orients the tank to be more parallel with your profile than conventional stage slung bottles.  The two holes that come stock on the BP work great for this. Mine is one custom created and available through Diversions Scuba in Madison. In fact if you were interested in this mod, cost would be around $150 and you can email me or call Tami at Diversions, she can help you with this as well as get you up through sidemount classes (this is a specialty of cave diving if you're not familiar with it).

This wing is a little largish, I think i'll modify a smaller Eclipse or Oxycheck 35 lb. when I come across a used one that I can beat the crap out of (if you see Tami's or Ethan's SM bc's you'll appreciate the abuse they go through! Patches become a neccessity.)

Here's some pictures. Had to do these 'cause Ethan thought i'd never get it finished!

PS Everyone says all these H's are going to p.o. a few tweakers in Florida!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   bpsm-front.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   bpsm-back.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.08 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-07-2006, 05:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2006, 05:21 PM by matt t..)
Re: Backplate Sidemount Rig - complete!
M&M goes sidemount??? J/K Paul. Looks good. It's always fun building stuff.
05-07-2006, 08:30 PM,

Darn it Matt, it's EMINEM.  The way you spell it melts in your mouth, not in your hands. Wink

The rig looks good Paul!
05-07-2006, 08:33 PM,

Paul, WTF is a tweaker?
05-08-2006, 06:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)

Paul, WTF is a tweaker?
[/quote]

LOL

tweaker a person who is uptight, antisocial, opposite of relaxed. Most likely to be seen in the parking lot of a dive site whispering to each other smugly. Used to describe a person in a state of self-induced psychosis.
05-08-2006, 10:04 AM,
Very sweet looking Paul.

When are we going to go put that to some use? Smile
05-08-2006, 10:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2006, 10:30 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)
I think this thing will be worn out by the end of the summer  Wink

This weekend i'll be breaking her in for sure.
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM,

Paul, WTF is a tweaker?
[/quote]

LOL

tweaker a person who is uptight, antisocial, opposite of relaxed. Most likely to be seen in the parking lot of a dive site whispering to each other smugly. Used to describe a person in a state of self-induced psychosis.
[/quote]
Sounds like he's talking about US, Chris ;D.
05-09-2006, 11:39 AM,

My weekend plans are looking to be cancelled (was going backpacking...but rain all weekend and predicted high of 42 during the day, 30 at night...) so I may be able to make it down there to dive w/ you guys...I'll let you know if I can meet ya or not.