Remember me
Lost Password Register

Big Cedar Lake
05-07-2006, 01:16 PM,
Big Cedar Lake
Dove Big Cedar Lake this morning. Visibility better than 20' - 30' Water temp 40 degrees at 50'. Not a single fish or plant to be seen. Lake floor looked like a grey desert. Covered in fine silt that shimmied like jello when disturbed. Silt is deeper than one can reach up to their shoulder, will bring back a long (maybe 8') rod next time to see if we can find bottom.
05-26-2006, 05:54 PM,
Re: Big Cedar Lake
I was out on the north end off gonring boat launch 2 weeks ago. Vis was 10 feet maybe. Zebra Mussels are taking over anything sticking out of the bottom.  We did find an old row boat, likely from the old resort tha was just south of the boat launch. It was cover 1-2 inches with mussels. We had the best luck in the past by going to the south end of the lake off cedar park dr. There is a small boat launch there but it has limited parking. past dives we've had 20-30 foot vis in the deep south end.
05-26-2006, 06:00 PM,
Anything else of interest to see out there? Always heard rumors about people losing good stuff out on the sandbar.
05-28-2006, 07:13 PM,
there is a small ice racer about 100-125 yards off shore in 40 feet of water, its about halfway between cedar park launch and the yatch club. Really long swim from shore. If you can get a boat. Find the green carpeted dock in that area and go straight out from it about 100 yards. And yes there is rumored to be alot of junk dumped in the deep side of the sand bar. Its rare that i have a boat so i haven't been able to check it out much, but we did find some signs of the junk last winter ice diving. metal scraps and so on. Its rumored there are cars and boats in the 90 - 100 foot deep areas.
09-06-2006, 02:08 PM,
Big Cedar Lake 9.4.06
Shore dive - parked at Linden Inn and dove off their pier. Surface water warm...drops to 42 degrees at 45 feet. Max depth of this dive was 60 feet. Visibility was horrible- less than 1 foot in spots average 3-5 foot.

Found an old Coca-Cola bottle - 10 ounce - maybe 1960's vintage? Have to find a book to identify it.

Found a Amoco motor oil can - deteriorating from inside out. Looked to be in decent shape, printing was still intact. But as you touched it, the metal just crumbled away. Threw it back on the bottom.

As far as topography goes, this lake is boring. After 20 feet depth, nothing but grey silt. We have found a couple of rock piles, but thats it. Grey silt for as far as you can see. (Silt is more than 5 feet deep, thats as far as we have been able to probe. never hit bottom.)
05-31-2009, 04:10 PM,
Where are some good shore dive entry points along Big Cedar?
05-31-2009, 04:39 PM,
Email sent...