Remember me
Lost Password Register

Who has a pontoon boat ?
04-23-2006, 06:33 PM,
Who has a pontoon boat ?
and how did you set it up for diving ?

Buddy just got one and it is super.  We tried it out today, just to cruise the lake and talk on how to improve it for diving.

any ideas ?

gail 
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM,
Re: Who has a pontoon boat ?
A pontoon seems like it would be the ultimate in dive boats (used within their limitations). Lots of room, built in tank racks (bungee to the aluminum rails already in place), and usually a nice "giant stride" platform on the front. Have someone weld you up a nice aluminum ladder. Ladders are usually the weakest point on a dive boat. Greg has a nice, compact, fairly easy to copy ladder. He may even send you a picture if you ask nicely ;D.
04-23-2006, 08:38 PM,
Pontoon boats are fine in calm water, but I do know a few people who had some issues with a pontoon boat on Green Lake when it got a little rough.  I think at least one tank went over the side never to be seen again....

Like Matt mentioned.  The best boat in the world with a crappy ladder isn't a good dive boat.
04-24-2006, 05:55 AM,
That would be 1 of the limitations I mentioned ;D.
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM,

Just be careful how you load it and drive it.  It's really easy to "bury the bow" and wash all your gear off the deck.  Don't keep too much weight far forward, don't try to put the engine in full reverse while going ahead at high speed, and keep loose gear secured.  I lost a mask, fins, and a backup light (and had to dive into the water to rescue the rest of my gear) a couple years ago in FL due to some poor boat driving (by a guy whose "day job" was to captain a small cruise ship).

Ethan
04-24-2006, 09:00 PM,

That's fun the first time it happens and you are not expecting it!  My daughter learned some new words that day.
04-25-2006, 07:10 AM,
I have an 18 footer I "converted" . I am a little concerned that people that are "washing the deck", yes I have washed mine and unless the rails are off, there is really no way to lose gear. Losing a tank? How? Again, are the rails off? I can secure up to 6 tanks and there would have to be a catastrophic failure before I would lose one.
WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T DIVE!
04-25-2006, 06:06 PM,

Not sure how the tank got lost, fortunately, I wasn't on the boat at the time.
05-11-2006, 02:45 AM,
Greg (asking nicely)  I would love to see a picture and measurements of your beautiful compact ladder.... I have a 20 ft pontoon and all that is missing is a great ladder.
Eric
06-27-2006, 11:11 PM,
I also considered a pontoon for diving, but I chose a Hurricane deck boat with a sweet 4-stroke engine instead. Much faster, more stable, more maneuverable, and still has the same great flat deck. Plus no "deck washing". However, it was quite a bit more money, and heavier. The ride can be unforgiving in rough water due to the tri-hull configuration, but the stability and maneuverability were worth the trade off. Deck boats also suffer from poor ladders (as far as diving is concerned).  I am looking at mounting a swim platform ladder with the nice hand rails on mine.