Remember me
Lost Password Register

Freediving the "Milwaukee"
07-13-2003, 03:23 PM,
Freediving the "Milwaukee"
Today was a great day out on Lake Michigan. The water was FLAT calm and the vis was awesome. As a result, dive boats were everywhere, some tied up two deep, on all of the wrecks.

We started out, on the LenDer, by divng the car ferry Milwaukee this morning. The surface was 52 degrees adn the bottom was much colder. Wink Vis was great- over 40'. I was freedivng her, but left my camera on the boat because of the depth and all the friggin' lines that are down there. It's almost like a spider web with mooring lines goin everywhich way. Anyhow, the vis on the bottom was great and you could see the deck, at 85', from as shallow as 65'.

The dive boats Jaguar and Wreckless were also out there to enjoy the vis- word has it that it was even better, over 50', on Saturday. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Lender_surface__july_13th.jpg_thumb (Size: 13.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-13-2003, 03:25 PM,
Re:Freediving the "Milwaukee"
The second dive was on the Willy and htere were tow boats on her when we first arrived. One left and Mika stayed until all of her divers were up. Since she is shallower than the Milwaukee, and htere weren't ropes floating around everywhere, I took my camera in. I got shots of divers from both boats.

This was taken on the stern and I beleive the divers were off of the Mika.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   Willy_stern_divers.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.34 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-13-2003, 03:27 PM,
More diver exploring the stern cabin- where it looks like someone's "bullet" weightbelt exploded. :'( Many of us found 2# weights lying around everywhere.

If you lost your belt I have one of them and the diver's on the Mika have the rest.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   diver_porthole.jpg_thumb (Size: 26.84 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-13-2003, 03:29 PM,
Since the Mika was tied up to the ster all of the stern shots have her divers inthem.

jon

.jpg_thumb   diver_willy_stern1.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.19 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-13-2003, 03:31 PM,
One of the divers off of the LenDer.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   wreckdiver_2.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-13-2003, 03:32 PM,
This poor guy kept on loosing his force fins and his back up regs kept coming out of his tank bungie. :'( One day he'll switch to DIR and be rid of these problems. Wink

Jon
07-13-2003, 03:35 PM,
Jitka, one of the Lender's new crew members, tried her hand at freediving today. LAst week she hit 53' and last summer she hit 62'. Once she gets her own suit, that fits, and fins, that fit, she'll hit a 100' or sure.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   jitka_4.jpg_thumb (Size: 19.17 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-13-2003, 03:38 PM,
The wheelhouse.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   wheelhouse2.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-13-2003, 03:39 PM,
The forward mast as seen from the wheel house.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   willy_mast.jpg_thumb (Size: 17.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-13-2003, 03:42 PM,
The end of another great dive. My only complaint is that scuba divers are all done too soon. I could have stayed in another few hours- I was just getting into a groove. 8)

The Wednesday night is the Lumberman. One of hte best wrecks around to freedive on- she's only 55'-65' deep and there's not too much to get hung up on, plus the vis has always been good down where she's sunk.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   Tim_K_surface_2.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.64 KB / Downloads: 0)