Remember me
Lost Password Register

What's the best fish food?
04-08-2006, 10:17 PM,
What's the best fish food?
I'm wondering what works best for getting feeding frenzies going in most lakes.  Way back when, I used to use string cheese on the bluegills at Redgranite, but I never did think it was good for them.  I have been trying koi food, but with mixed results.  The rock bass seem to like it, but the bluegills just spit it out.  When I tried cheese up on the Fleetwing, the fish ignored it and swam away.

I'm thinking about trying brine shrimp, but don't really care for the $15/lb price tag.  I'm also thinking of salting the koi food, as freshwater fish are constantly trying to keep the salt in their bodies.  That might work as a good attractant.

Any ideas?
DEW >&ltWink)>
04-09-2006, 06:58 AM,
Re: What's the best fish food?
cheese whiz<
Not sure how good it is for them, but they love it!
04-09-2006, 07:50 AM,
I would stop at a bait shop and pick up some worms. There are several different kinds. Just a thought.
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM,
Cheez Whiz... hot dogs are good too.
04-28-2006, 03:04 PM,
I tried a different type of koi food today at Redgranite.  After a while, the trout caught on that it was food, and a frenzy started.  They still avoided me, staying about 5-10' away.  A few gills have figured it out also.  Watch for Scarface, a large bluegill with a injury on his nose.  He's getting tame and is starting to follow me around.  The food I was using today is available at Fleet Farm for around $5 a bottle.  I use a zipper type baggie and soak the food while I don my gear.  That way the food doesn't float right away to the surface.  I think, if I keep this up, we should have some good frenzy action this summer at Redgranite. Big Grin
DEW &gt;&ltWink)&gt;
04-28-2006, 05:39 PM,
I was told that cheese is very bad for fish; they're not inteded for dairy and it could get them sick and kill them.  I hope to run into a veterinarian tomorrow and will try to get his fix on that.  I'll post back if I get any expert opinion.