Remember me
Lost Password Register

West Point Dive Park???
10-19-2003, 01:56 PM,
West Point Dive Park???
Does anyone have information on the West Point Dive Park in Lohrville? When is it open? Owner contact information? Is that the place people call Lohrville Quarry or is it different? How's the diving there? I just drove past the sign on Hwy N today and got curious. The sign said closed and the gate was locked but it didn't say if it was closed for the season or just today. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

BTW, viz looked to be very good in the Redgranite Quarry. Wish I would have dived there instead of Pearl Lake. Oh well, maybe next weekend.
10-24-2003, 07:30 PM,
Re:West Point Dive Park???
Here's what I know: I'm pretty sure the land itself is county property. It's been a teen hangout/party place for years until the county put a fence around it and locked it up. Several years ago Inland Seas in Neenah worked a deal to lease it and run it as a dive park. They did their training there and you could rent it for special events. They usually had it open on the weekends and charged a daily fee to dive. When Inland Seas went out of business Mountain Bay in Appleton took it over. Now they're doing classes there. I think you could rent it for a day if you wanted. Hours are pretty sporadic, I think it's only open when they have classes out there. Call Mt. Bay to find out. Last year they had a "Quarry Blast" - try out gear, meet factory reps, etc. They did give out some decent door prizes. This year it never happened, but they say it'll happen next year.

The quarry max's out around 40-45'. There are several cars at the bottom of the cliff right under the Old Style sign (look to your right if you're standing next to dock). There is a pretty decent entry area for walk-ins and a good dock for doing giant strides. Mt. Bay sank a 20+' cabin cruiser right near the end of the dock - a REALLY big giant stride could almost put you on it. There are a couple of small training platforms near the dock too. There used to be a 4 station navigation course set up from one end of the quarry to the other, I think it's still there but I haven't looked for it for a couple of years. Generally the diving is decent, similar to Red Granite, just smaller and not as deep. Vis is probably the same as RG or maybe a little less - I think smaller water volume and it clouds up faster after rain and stuff. Stay near the edges and on the rocks - out in the middle it's kind of mucky with a semipermanent haze. Once summer settles in bring PLENTY of bug juice - it's back in the woods and squadrons of skeeters big enough to carry you away.

Lohrville Quarry is different - that one is a little farther down the road (away from Lohrville itself) right where the road takes a sharp bend, there is a small parking area right by the road and the quarry is just behind that. Dove that once several years ago- early in the year and very murky. Couple of guys have since told me it's always that way. We did find a snowmobile engine and an old truck.
10-25-2003, 06:32 AM,
Re:West Point Dive Park???
Thanks Gsdive,

I appreciate all the info.

Mike