Remember me
Lost Password Register

Milwaukee diving
06-30-2003, 10:43 PM,
Milwaukee diving
I'd like to plan a weekend of Lake Michigan diving in the Milwaukee area. Assuming that I can dive for two days, what are the "must see" dive sites? Should I hook up with a charter? Shore dives? What is the best month for diving (Jul-Sept) in terms of vis?
--Jason
07-01-2003, 05:18 PM,
Re:Milwaukee diving
I wouldn't waste my time with shore dives if you'll only be here for a day or 2. The charter you will need to contact is the "LEN-DER" (there are a couple of others, but the LEN-DER has a regular shedule for recreational wreck dives). This charter is run through Pirates Cove, a local dive shop about 15 minutes from the boat. If it's your first time diving down here, I would try to dive on the Willie and the Dredge, those are my 2 favorites. if you are coming without a buddy, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone on the boat to dive with.

for reservations/info call (414) 482-1430

Matt
07-01-2003, 09:16 PM,
Re:Milwaukee diving
I just got back from freediving on the Willie.

The water was FLAT calm and there was over 40' of vis. It was a bit cold on the bottom, but I was warm. There were schools of fish on the stern and even a larger salmon trying to run through the school to eat them.

Deep Blue had rented out the Lender, as they do every Tuesday, and three of us tagged along for some freediving.

Not many people on board made for plenty of room to move about. Gert even got some great video of all of us diving.

Jon