Remember me
Lost Password Register

Deep Tunnel and Milwaukee's Sewage Problem
06-27-2003, 09:25 AM,
Deep Tunnel and Milwaukee's Sewage Problem
I thought this could be spun off into it's own topic.
That way we could alert each other if we know of sewage dumping (as they frequently don't announce it until after the fact).
I'd also like to see if we could organize some sort of grass roots petition to force the city to find a better way of handling their waste.
I'm sure all of us who've been out on the lake have seen 'slicks' of semi-organic flotsam. It's disgusting what the city does to the very water they drink from.
06-29-2003, 04:53 PM,
Re:Deep Tunnel and Milwaukee's Sewage Problem
This is about as nasty of a situation as I have heard of. I thought that this was only a problem in the third world. And most of these places that have divers are cleaning it up for the tourist dollors, Phuket Thailand for example has a number of treatment projects going to keep the diving and beach community happy and bringing money.

Let me know who to write to. In industry we get fined heavily if we spill, rain or no rain.

Doug
06-29-2003, 09:58 PM,
i second that.... count me in...
07-02-2003, 12:02 PM,
Here is some new information
07-02-2003, 06:14 PM,
There is definitely a lot of spin going on in the article, but the guy from the MMSD has a point about how the pollutant load does remain contsant during a rainstorm....and they do have a permit from the DNR to dump 6 times a year irregardless of volume dumped. Unfortunately, they may be within the law.

Still, you hate to see it happen regardless.
07-02-2003, 09:30 PM,
I would tend to agree with the MMSD guy, if I piss in you beer, it does not matter if it is a pint or a quarter of beer, it is the same amount of piss.

To bad we get to swim in the piss.

They have a sweet deal if they have 6 "get out of jail free" cards per year and can dump what they want.

Does it smell a little strange along the shoreline in Milwaukee?

Doug