Remember me
Lost Password Register

DC opinions
01-27-2006, 08:33 AM,
DC opinions
I am just starting with the NAUI tech class.  Casual conversation started concerning DCs.  I have Vyper which I like and is the only DC I have owned.  It was mentioned that the Suunto DCs are way too conservative and are not tolerant of slight changes of depth during a deep dive.  It was mentioned that they tend to penalize you for those changes.  Someone mentioned that the DC alarms go off just from raising you hand from the bottom of your Plate to your shoulder.  What do you guys think?  Are they too conservative?  Are there better DC’s for tech diving?  Not looking for any product bashing just dialog and ideas.
01-27-2006, 09:22 AM,
Re: DC opinions
Assuming that DCs is Dive Computer, and not Decompression Sickeness, put the thing in gauge mode and don't look back.  If there isn't a gauge mode, sell it and buy an Uwatec Aladin Tec.  If you aren't interested in logging your dives via download, sell it and buy an Uwatec Bottom Timer. 

Oh, wait.  I just realized that this is in the DIR forum.  The correct answer is that you should sell the computer and buy a bottom timer.  All of your dives should be planned and you should dive the plan.  All team members are using standard gasses.  Your buddy's timer is your backup, and you and your team are wearing them on your right wrist.
01-27-2006, 01:01 PM,
The best dive computer for technical diving is your brain.  Everything else is just support. Wink

Timer and tables.......I use a computer in gauge mode to track the dive and log it with software.  Computers work sometimes as TOOLS but not a replacement for thought and understanding of what your dive plan is and where it will take you.  I think thats the general idea of the DIR philosophy on computers.
01-27-2006, 01:56 PM,

If that guy was horizontal in the water like he is supposed to be, that change in hand placement from the bottom of the plate to the shoulder should all be at the same depth.... >Big Grin      ;D
01-27-2006, 02:36 PM,
Keep the Vyper and use it in gauge mode.
01-28-2006, 08:21 AM,
I agree with LKunze, keep the vyper and use it in gauge mode.  the vyper is very good at divelogs, and you will spend at least as much on a bottom timer that does less. 

Plus if you do any warm water type non technical diving it's nice to have in computer mode, so you can turn your brain off and enjoy the sun and pretty fish Wink
01-28-2006, 08:49 AM,
Off topic I know, but hey Todd, great Avatar!

Jim
01-28-2006, 09:02 AM,

Don't encourage him.... ;D
01-28-2006, 09:05 AM,
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Jim, I thought it was pretty unique but somehow generally representative of community feelings on computers.
01-28-2006, 09:10 AM,
Back to the topic, you have flexibility with a computer with a gauge mode.  Like Scott said, sometimes it is nice to let a computer do the busy stuff with recreational multilevel dives but with anything technical I think simple is best.