Remember me
Lost Password Register

Moving to Madison from California.
04-07-2004, 03:36 PM,
Re:Moving to Madison from California.
John,

Where in San Diego did you dive? I did my instructor training out there a long time ago and have dove many of the local areas- still have a sister who lives in San Diego.

We dove in Red Granite last weekend, a shorter drive form Madison than Wazee is. There are also some other local lakes that are looking pretty good right now- just took a bike ride past Monona and she is finally clearing up again. Mendota is starting into her clearest time of year and Rock lake isn't that far away.

As far as wrecks go, ther are plenty. You can choose depths from 5' to 320' and any type of condition that you can imagine. The vis in the lake is much better than it was 10 years ago- I've had up to 85' in the middle of winter out there.

One wreck, the Prinz Willy, was once listed as one of the top 20 wrecks in all of North America. She gets almost 2,000 dives on her a year by just one charter boat, the Lend-Der, and there are many other boats that visit her as well. She starts at about 60', depending upon the lake level, and she maxes out at 93', if you stay on the outside of her. She makes a great freediving spot since there is so much relief. She is also a good place to do some penetration training if your so inclined.

Madison has a great underwater hockey team, that's associated with a local dive club. If your looking for a local recreational shop check out Three Littel Devils or The Underwater Connection. If your interested in Tec- diving then make the drive to Deep Blue in Milwaukee. They are the only one's in the state who offer the DIR-F class and have a full blending facility to offer everything from 02 fills to trimix. They are also offering trimix and rebreather classes this summer.

I live in Madison, but, now, only freedive- as there's not much point to throwing on a tank in these lakes. If your interested in Freediving or spearfishing email me.

Jon

Messages In This Thread
Madison diving links - by WIdiver_Paul2 - 12-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by FreediveWI - 04-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by Omicron - 06-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by Omicron - 06-26-2003, 11:48 AM