Remember me
Lost Password Register

"The Cave" just released on DVD
01-15-2006, 12:40 PM,
"The Cave" just released on DVD
Wow, just bought my copy of "The Cave", the hollywood production of an alien/predator monster action film about cave divers finding monsters in an underwater romanian cave. It's a little way out there if you haven't seen it, I had to start making a list of all the hollywoodisms in the movie. The whole thing is a little far fetched to say the least and mildly entertaining. I'd love to have some of the "gear" they use on there (24 hour rebreathers! "Sonic Imagers" that produce a 3d map of a cave BEFORE you explore it! Tiny tanks of pure oxygen you can breathe WITHOUT A REGULATOR to get yourself out of a 2.4 mile cave! Flame throwers fashioned out of a scuba tank! Caves that have MASSIVE dry sumps! Cave water in romania that doesn't produce hypothermia when wearing skin-tight wetsuits with no hood! Batteries that last for days without recharging! Massive boxes of gear you can drag with you through deep water so you can have coleman lanterns, laptops and fiber optic linkup with speech and video to your dive buddies! The list goes on...)

The bright spot of the DVD is obviously the  "into the cave" interview with Wes Skyles and Jill Heinerth and breathtaking images of the Yucatan and some of the best caves in Florida. Some of the most accomplished cave divers participating in making this film, including Brian Kakuk, Jitka Hyniova and Woody Jasper using Meg rebreathers and their expertise in REAL cave diving to make these (no-name) movie "stars" look like (somewhat) real cave divers.

Whatever you do, don't do like my wife did and let your kids see this one, if you WANT them to ever go cave diving with you, that is.
01-18-2006, 03:35 PM,
Re: "The Cave" just released on DVD
You could have bought all that stuff on ebay right after the movie was released. Just wait till Jitka gets a load of this underwater flame thrower...
01-31-2006, 03:32 PM,
A few of us watched the movie last night and I guess maybe we should have watched the extra features as some sort of saving grace.  The movie itself gets a big thumbs down and could very well be the worst movie I have seen in quite some time.    They could do a MST3K version......it reminds me a little bit of Giant Spider Invasion.

It made "Into the Blue" look like an Academy Award winner.  Jessica Alba doesn't hurt either.... Tongue
01-31-2006, 03:39 PM,
Agreed, 2 words: "IT SUCKED". Even the diving wasn't enough to make up for the "suck factor". As far as "Into the Blue" goes, I don't know about the academy award status, but those freediving scenes......... :-*
01-31-2006, 08:18 PM,
OK the "Into the Cave" featurette is pretty cool, but the movie was still horrible.
01-31-2006, 09:15 PM,
Hey HollyWood,
Maybe All Your Dive Movie's  SUCK because you have NO [glow=red,2,300]" REAL DIVER STORIES!!!"[/glow]
02-03-2006, 02:33 PM,
I have to give The Cave 2 thumbs down!  It was so far fetched, a parasite that turns you into a monster...  The underwater footage was the only part that was half decent.  And yeah some of the dive scenes sure didn't make much sense.  Into the Blue wasn't acadamy award winning, but the underwater scenes were worth looking at and so was Jessica. 

But I think John Chatterton and Richie Kohlers movie about them is going to be awesome.  Knowing Hollywood, they'll have to throw in a bunch of fake crap...

Take care everyone.
Matt

02-03-2006, 07:52 PM,

I am hoping that they do not screw this story up.  It would be a great one.

Doug
02-06-2006, 03:10 PM,
Don't forget this is entertainment, not documentaries. I thought "the Cave" and "Into the Blue" for that matter were fun movies to sit and eat popcorn to. "Open Water" got a little slow, though the full frontal helped. I also got a kick out of Jaws, The Abyss, Titanic, and the Deep. If I want something accurate about cave diving or shipwrecks I watch Wes Skiles stuff or go to Ghost Ships and Our World Underwater, which I also really enjoy.  In the mean time bring on the underwater space aliens and the liquid oxygen for going "Real Deep"... lol. 
02-07-2006, 12:36 PM,
"The Descent"
If you want scary, rent/buy/download "The Descent", a British caving horror movie that came out this summer.  I enjoyed The Cave, but The Descent is way darker and scarier.  There's no cave-diving, but plenty of dry caving.  It's even fairly realistic (for a movie).  Try to get the British version if you can, as the ending for the American version supposedly isn't as good.

Hopefully I can avoid thinking about it when I'm caving this Thursday,

Ethan