Remember me
Lost Password Register

Tech Bcd?
01-03-2006, 04:18 PM,
Tech Bcd?
Hello,

I'm looking for opinons. I'm getting back into diving after a 8 year lull. I live less then 20 minutes from Lake Wazee and I also travel to the Crosby mines near Brainerd, and my family lives close to Lake Superior. I'm looking to update my somewhat antiquted equipment and I'm looking forward to getting involved in tech diving. I want to invest the money once and be able to have many years of fun with them. With that in mind I'm confused on what bcd to invest in. I"m looking at a ranger rear inflated, but as I do a bit of shore diving I'm wondering how a rear inflated bcd is? I don''t want to be stuck floating face down like a mob victim. Also I've heard some discusions on backpacks, wings etc? Which is best if a person was to make a investment. Most of my diving will be done in cold water, planning at looking at a drysuit.  Any direction would be helpful as the more I look on the net the more my head spins.
Thanks,
Mike
01-03-2006, 04:52 PM,
Re: Tech Bcd?
Mike,
Go with a backplate and wing.  Halcyon and Dive Rite make some great examples, but I think the Halcyon single tank wing (Pioneer or Eclipse) is better than the Dive Rite single tank wing (Venture).  The beauty of a Bp/wing is the versatility.  When used with the proper wing, they can be used for any type of diving.  Wetsuit, drysuit,  singles or doubles.  You can get a plate with a wing that suits your current needs and then get another wing in the future so you are diving a wing suitable for your needs.  Bigger isn't better in most cases.  I have Dive Rite stainless plate with a single webbed harness.  I dive a 55# Halcyon Explorer with double 130s or double 80s.  I have some double 95s I haven't tried yet.  That is often with two stages (40 and an 80)and I haven't had any issues yet.  I am currently considering the 40#Halcyon Evolve wing for the 80s and possibly the 130's too.  For most single tank applications, the 27#Pioneer or the 30# Eclipse will be plenty.

I think the Halcyon Pioneer system is $525.  A lot of the so called Tech BCs are in the $800 range.  If you want to continue with tech diving, you will soon learn that you just wasted $800 if you buy one.  You mentioned you wanted an investment, the BP/and an wing of the proper size for the dives you will be doing is a great place to start.

This is all just my opinion, but I can think of at least 5 guys on this board who have switched to a BP/wing from something more much more convoluted.
01-03-2006, 05:01 PM,
Backplate & Wings, without a doubt.  And they don't make you float like a mob victim Smile

Brand is not really that important...lots of companies make them.  They are indestructible and versatile.  I have used mine diving in cozumel in a 3mil suit with an AL80 tank all the way to missouri caves with double 104's and deco tanks. 

They are basically just some 2inch webbing, a steel plate and a wing.  You can use different wings for different applications, but the basic setup will carry you through ANY type of diving you do.
01-03-2006, 05:30 PM,
Thanks,

So basicly a wings/backpack setup is the lego version of a bcd? Its amazing how much this stuff has leaped in technology from when I started. I got certified by a old navy diver. It was like basic training lol. I ended up with a Bcd recomended by him at the time that just has done nothing but aggrevate me from the start. Is diving with the wing setup any more difficult then with a bcd? It dosn't appear so, but with my luck I'll get in the water and my wings will fly off lol. Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the help, its heck trying to get caught up with the times again. I feel like a atari boy in a computer world.

Mike
01-03-2006, 06:01 PM,
Backplate and wings is the only way to go.  I wore my Sherwood BCD out after 400 dives.  You can inexpensively fix a backplate and wings.  Used them in the cold and will be taking it to the Bahamas.

Doug
01-03-2006, 06:23 PM,
Lego is a good way to put it Smile

You start with the plate.  From there you add a harness - you can either buy a deluxe harness that includes snaps on the shoulders, chest straps and that sort of thing, or you can just thread some webbing throughout.  Both options are available from diving companies.

Then comes the wing.  The wing is actually bolted to the metal plate via a single tank adapter (an angled piece of iron that a single tank sets against). 

They really are a joy to dive, and no more difficult than a normal BCD.
07-17-2006, 10:28 AM,
ditto on the backplate and wing.  Just in case you needed another vote Wink
T