Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dry Suit Opinions
12-22-2005, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-22-2005, 10:58 AM by matt t..)
Re: Dry Suit Opinions
Lots of good info given so far. As stated, number 1 is fit. As far as types of suits go, the "regular" neoprene suits are generally cheaper, but also are prone to the same problems as wetsuits. Neoprene drys out, shrinks, and compresses at depth. After a certain number of "compressions" the bubbles in the suit material don't bounce back and you lose ability to stay warm. "Compressed Neoprene" is something altogether different. DUI makes a "Compressed Neoprene" suit called the CF 200. The CF 200 is a "shell" suit that is a pretty tough suit, generally warmer than most other shell suits (given the same undrgarment) and is probably the most expensive "stock" suit out there. DUI makes several different suits that can be seen on their site. I (and several of my buddies) own the CLX 450. After diving with it for 3 years I really don't have any complaints. Luckily a "stock" size fits me like a custom suit, and after several additions (pockets, P-valve, and dry gloves) I hope to  have this suit another 5 years. Recently I sent the suit in to have new seals (Neoprene neck seal and HD wrist seals) and the smaller DUI "turbo soles" installed. When you finally decide to buy, make sure you get what you want and it fits, and go with a front zip (ever been in a hurry to go to the bathroom while wearing a straight jacket?). Stuff like pockets, P-valves, and dry gloves can add up at the time of purchase, and can always be added to the suit later. Make sure you look into the boots offered, as mentioned before, the boots can possibly limit the different fins that will fit on the suit boots. Neoprene or latex seals are another consideration. IMO the only way to go is a front zip shell suit, and the best value in a new shell suit right now is the Diving Concepts "Z flex". This suit has a full Cordura body (like the DUI 450 upper)  and is pretty reasonably priced at under $1000 (depending on options). E-bay is another possibility for a decent used or even new suit. Recently I've seen somer DUI suits going for reasonable prices. If you're worried about re-sale DUI and DC are probably going to have better re-sale than most other brands. Good luck with your purchase Wink. Under garments are a whole different topic and should be discussed in a different thread. Let us know what you buy!
12-22-2005, 10:27 AM,

I accidentally left my keys in my Bare drysuit pocket once.  Went on an hour and change long dive and they were still there.  Couldn't believe it.
12-22-2005, 05:35 PM,

I accidentally left my keys in my Bare drysuit pocket once.  Went on an hour and change long dive and they were still there.  Couldn't believe it.
[/quote]

I stand corrected, if you want to bring your keys on a dive, the Bare pocket is large enough to hold them Wink
12-22-2005, 06:08 PM,

[/quote]
I left my wallet in my "5th D" pocket (ran to McDonalds between dives) once. Everything was wet, but still there as well ;D.
12-22-2005, 06:21 PM,

We looked really cool in our drysuits at McDonald's too...
12-22-2005, 06:44 PM,
A p-valve is a great addition, but probably deserves its own thread.  I recommend the Rochester Wide--Band external catheter.  These things truly have the monkey grip on you and no worries about accidents.

A little rough getting off.

Doug
12-22-2005, 06:50 PM,
Remeber Doug like a band aid - a quick tug or 2 and your free :'(
or looking like this one  :o

>Big Grin
12-22-2005, 09:13 PM,
Aaahh, the monkey grip.... ;D
12-23-2005, 12:58 PM,
Back to the topic... lol.  Monkey grip... yikes...

I've had the Diving Concepts full Cordura trilam suit for years. For the extra couple hundred I had it custom fit. Well worth it… I got the dry gloves, Diving Concepts bellows pockets on the thighs and the self donning front zipper. I never liked having to ask someone to help me zip the back type. I bought the expensive Diving Concepts underwear, it cost quite a bit more then I expected, but on the other hand, with it I haven't been cold at all. Even through the winter. I also opted for the cuff dump instead of the shoulder dump. It takes a little getting used to; you can't dump quickly during a runaway, so you have to pay attention. (Which you should be doing anyway.) Being on my left wrist, while I dump my wings it pretty much takes care of itself. As for a P-valve, my philosophy is, the first time I "really" need one. I'll have one the next time...

Hope this helps.