Remember me
Lost Password Register

Florida Keys
12-10-2005, 02:40 PM,
Florida Keys
I am thinking of making a trip down to the Keys this Feb.
Does anybody have a favorite spot to stay/dive?
12-11-2005, 10:09 AM,
Re: Florida Keys
THere are a number of good places in Key Largo.  Just depends on what you are looking for.  I have stayed with Aquanauts and Amy Slates with no complaints.

There really is a lot of choices and depending on the pocketbook, you can go cheap and you can go with luxery.

Doug

12-11-2005, 02:06 PM,
I have to agree with Doug.  I usually dive with Aquanuts while I am in the Keys and they run a first class operation.  You can check them out on the link below.

12-12-2005, 01:47 PM,
Ocean Divers.  The staff was great and had alot of knowledge.  There is a hotel next door with reduces rates if you are diving with Ocean Divers.
12-12-2005, 05:37 PM,
Thanks I'll check them out! Smile
12-26-2005, 08:29 PM,
If you have a military ID card or a military sponsor you can stay at Key West Naval Air Station for cheap.  The rooms there are quite nice.
03-05-2006, 07:16 PM,
The people at AquaNuts in Key Largo were great.
09-11-2006, 09:32 AM,
In March i would like to go to the "Keys" for a couple of days,looking for a safe charter  to take three new divers(Two PADI and One NAUI) out for a good time.Any suggestions?Also,looking for clean,safe lodging.

Thanks
09-11-2006, 10:20 AM,
Call 3 Little Devils.  They drive down every March with divers.  I´m not sure where they stay nor with whom the dive, but it seems to be a popular winter trip.  I belive they even stop and do a manatee (snorkel?) dive on the way down.
09-11-2006, 09:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2006, 09:09 PM by codecruncher.)
I just got back from 10 days in the Keys.

I dove with Divers City USA for 3 days in Tavernier - great little shop, nice size boat - 8 or 10 divers max. We went out with as little as 3. Dove the Duane, the Eagle, the Benwood, French Reef, Molasses Reef, and an unnamed reef. Duane was the best and Molasses rocked.

Dove with Abyss out of Marathon behind the Holiday Inn for 2 days. Really nice group also - same size boat as Divers City. The 2nd day my wife and I had the entire boat to ourselves.

Personally, I disliked the idea of the 20 to 25 divers on a single boat/cattle boats. These shops were great. Divers Citys in particular was very tech friendly also - they can custom mix what you want on site and even shipped my pony bottle back for me when I forgot UPS closes early.

In Marathon we stayed at the Holiday Inn - Abyss gets a decent deal through them. Very handy and the restaurant across the street is excellent.

In Key Largo we stayed at the Ramada. It has very nice rooms, but no bar - not even for an iced tea or anything. So we simply walked 100 yards to the Holiday Inn next door and hung out at their pool sometimes. The rooms at the Holiday Inn are not as nice I hear.

tripadvisor.com was helpful in finding loding that wasn't/isn't still destroyed/smelly after Wilma last year.