Remember me
Lost Password Register

Beaver lake
06-20-2003, 05:01 AM,
Beaver lake
After looking onthe LAKESAT.org website this past winter I put Beaver Lake on the top of my list of new lakes to try.

Yesterday my divebuddy, Ted, and I went out and spent about 6+ hours freedivng and spearing in there. The water was 72 degrees at the surface and 66 degress at about 25'. Vis was around 15', which we thought was great since we can't see to the end of our spearguns anymore in Rock lake and the other lakes in Madison.

The lake itself is mostly private and has only one acces- a set of stairs. The bay at th bottom of the stairs is only 2' deep and it stays shallow for a long ways. THe onyl way to dive this is with a dive kayak.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   beaver_lake_pan_email.jpg_thumb (Size: 6.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-20-2003, 05:02 AM,
Re:Beaver lake
This is the kayak and gear getting set up for our day on the lake.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   car_kayak.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.56 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-20-2003, 05:03 AM,
This is the "boat ramp" at the lake. THey don't make it too easy for anyone to get on there. Wink

Jon

.jpg_thumb   beaver_boat_ramp.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-20-2003, 05:05 AM,
Here is the dock at the bottom of the ramp. All of the water that you see in front of you is less than 3' deep.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   beaver_launch_dock.jpg_thumb (Size: 26.69 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-20-2003, 05:06 AM,
We paddled over to the main part of the lake and set up on a shallow point to start our day.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   Ted_kayak.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.47 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-20-2003, 05:15 AM,
THere were big bass everywhere. It was almost like a video game with all of the bass swimming in front of you, which you CAN'T shoot, and the crappie and blue gill mixed in towards the back, which you CAN shoot.

The large mouth and small mouth bass were so friendly that we could almost pet them. I didn't take to many pictures because we were busy taking fish.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   beaver_bass.jpg_thumb (Size: 14.95 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-20-2003, 05:16 AM,
This is what we saw the most of during the day. ;D

They were pretty darn tasty too. 8)

Jon

.jpg_thumb   beaver_crappie.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.33 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-20-2003, 05:19 AM,
Here's one last shot of the lake.

The lake itself is in Waukesha county. She is on highway 83 just across the street from Pine Lake. The boat ramp was free, but you could only do it with a dive kayak or a canoe.

You need to paddle all the way around to the main part of the lake to hit the deeper hole. Most of the fish were between 20'-25'. This can change depending upon the time of year.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   calm_clear_water.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-22-2003, 07:22 PM,
Neat shots - I was on a dive last night and got to see a few yellow perch, and all I could think was "mmmmm...tasty" ;D