Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wiiiilllmaaaa! 21st record-tying storm named....
10-17-2005, 03:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2005, 03:38 PM by schultz.)
Wiiiilllmaaaa! 21st record-tying storm named....
She officially forms in the Caribbean as 21st named storm of the season. Personally, I hope this storm doesn't develop into anything severe enough to hamper experiences in Belize. Currently there is an 11% chance of hitting Belize dead center:

10-19-2005, 03:15 PM,
Re: Wiiiilllmaaaa! 21st record-tying storm named....
It's forcast to hit Florida by Saturday night.  I guess I won't be diving this weekend.
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM,
I just read a pretty detailed account of how bad Cozumel and Cancun are getting hit right now by Wilma...  I hope no one we know is there!  Airports were shut down yesterday and everyone who couldn't leave is crowding desparately into emergency shelters, many areas with no power (shut off as a precaution).  Major damage expected, and the storm is so big and moving so slowly that it's now expected to keep "churning" and dumping flooding rains over the Yucatan peninsula all weekend.

One small bright spot, as it relates to us, is the final sentence (this is from an AP article that's in the New York Times this morning):

"In Belize, a nation south of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, officials canceled cruise ship visits and tourists were evacuated from islands offshore. But the tiny country weathered the storm with few reports of damage."
10-21-2005, 10:41 AM,
Divepoint Scuba is scheduled to leave for Cozumel on Sunday :'(
10-23-2005, 05:11 PM,
It took a little longer than they said at first, but it's finally almost here.  Landfall should be first thing Monday morning they say.
10-24-2005, 12:16 PM,
It went past us really fast.  Here in Melbourne we got some 58 mph wind gusts plus the heavy rain.  Looks like we missed the worst.
10-24-2005, 01:55 PM,
Looks like Divepoint is re-routing to Belize...

The resort they use isn't going to be open for at least a year.  Pretty extenisve damage all over.
11-01-2005, 10:32 AM,
A friend of a friend was in Cozumel during the hurricane and posted a few descriptions and MANY photos on his web site:

It's kind of hard to view the thumbnails and the page takes a long time to download because there are so many images.  (They're in chronological order by day, starting before the storm hit - you have to scroll down a ways to get to the interesting ones.)  But for folks who have enjoyed time in Cozumel, it's pretty dramatic to see the destruction that took place.

Having been to Cozumel several times now, many of the street scenes are very familar to me. I really feel for the locals who now have to rebuild and get on with their lives and businesses...  Most of the media coverage in the US focused on tourists, who had a few days of inconvenience but are now all safe and sound at home.  It's going to take a long time for the Cozumel and Cancun areas to rebuild.