Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wisconsin Fish Database...
11-06-2005, 07:28 AM,
Wisconsin Fish Database...
Have you ever been diving somewhere in this state, when you've run across a fish you've never seen? Thankfully there's now a newly improved fish database developed by the Wisconsin DNR to help you identify that elusive bass or eel. The name of the site is and has been developed by both the DNR and Sea Grant. John Lyons, Wisconsin DNR has spent over five years taking all the photos for this project - a project he originally thought would take only one. He has gone all over the state from the big open waters of Lake Michigan to back-water creeks in the north woods, and even  to drainage ponds in Milwaukee. With about 162 species in the database, I can understand why it took him a while.

The database not only has photos, but a great taxonomic key to help you ID the fish if you cannot remember exactly what it looked like... "gee, I remember that the tail was forked and had barbs on it's mouth... "

I encourage everyone to check it out.
11-08-2005, 09:19 AM,
Re: Wisconsin Fish Database...
That's pretty cool.  The picture of the lamprey mouth is about enough to make me not want to dive in whatever lake those things are found in though...