Remember me
Lost Password Register

home-built gear !!!
10-25-2005, 11:39 AM,
home-built gear !!!
I saw this topic on Mnscuba board about a home-built cannister light.   looks pretty cool. I think I might have to try to build one. Now what else can I build myself?? Any one home built anything cool?? I love to tinker and have access to an unbelievably wide range of materials and tools, looking for a couple of other nice projects for the winter. It would be nice if these projects didn't kill me if I made them wrong Sad like a regulator for example... How about a home built seascooter?
10-25-2005, 06:20 PM,
Re: home-built gear !!!
If you look on "The Deco Stop" there are numerous threads on building lights and scooters. Recently on E-bay I saw a "BrightStar" bulb and ballast up for bid. This would be an excellent start for a home-built can light. Good luck and let us know how things go. Pictures would be good too Wink.
10-25-2005, 07:39 PM,
I've built my own batteries for my DiveRite Wreck1 canister...that was a fun little project and saved me a ton of money.  Did my own spring straps for my Jetfins...haven't built much else as far as scuba gear goes though.

If you want to do a homemade dive light, check out the HID Dive Lights group on Yahoo Groups - they have a ton of experts n there and some good resources.
11-05-2005, 02:00 PM,
My favorite is the Mag-Lite modification to make it a light head. Good clean fun there! (search deco stop for this one)
11-06-2005, 07:57 AM,
I've got one of those with a 35 watt Solux halogen bulb and an ABS canister.  I've got the original prototype that DanL from mnscuba built.  I used it for 2 years before I got a 10 watt HID this past year.  It worked great most of the time but towards the end of last dive season I couldn't keep the light head dry on the inside.  It always got some water in it.  Not enough to make the light fail but enough to make me not trust it anymore.  I'm sure it can be fixed to stay dry but I couldn't figure out how.