Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cave Accident In Flordia
10-05-2005, 03:49 PM,
Cave Accident In Flordia

10-05-2005, 04:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-05-2005, 05:01 PM by Chris H.)
Re: Cave Accident In Flordia
The moral of the story is that you should analze your gas before you use it, and pre dive drills/checks should be done.   Other than for a dive emergency, I can't think of any reason the isolator would be closed.
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM,
I cannot even comment...
10-05-2005, 07:56 PM,
Truly an unfortunate accident. My sympathies reach out to the family and friends affected by this tragedy.

A group at TDS has been talking in great depth about this accident, and in particular, the issue of filling doubles with a closed isolator valve... you can never be too careful when analyzing your mix.

You can find the thread here:
10-09-2005, 08:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2005, 08:52 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)
That's our friend Greg Stanton in the article (you Wisconsin divers saw him at the Ghost Ships festival in front of the Diversions booth with the fancy Meg RB)- too bad for the diver and family. If I had to be involved in a dive accident, i'd feel lucky to have someone like Greg at hand to keep a cool head and accomplish the best rescue possible.

/ hats off
// making mental note to self to analyze every time, no matter the supplier, the mix, or the site. Complacency kills.
/// Looks guiltily in the mirror
12-14-2005, 10:57 PM,
Re: Cave Accident In Florida
Does anyone have any more information about this? 

I'm pretty certain that Rudy was my OW instructor.  I'm not tactless enough to call him for clarification, but I feel horrible for him.  And I'm mighty curious.  There can't be that many cave-diving Rudy Banks in that area of FL who have a mixing panel in their garage. 

Damn, that's just horrible.  So many "if onlys" in this situation. 
Tol
05-25-2006, 07:34 AM,

She has been discharged from the hospital.