Remember me
Lost Password Register

seeking photos/video of high waves
10-03-2005, 01:40 PM,
seeking photos/video of high waves
I am seeking photos and/or video of high waves on lakes Michigan or Superior for a video project I am working on.  The video will be part of a program presented about the Carl. D. Bradley at the maritime museum in Rogers City, MI.  I would prefer video with at least 30 seconds of footage of high waves crashing ashore or into a lighthouse, etc., but high resolution photos would be OK too. 

If you have something that might be of use, please respond and we can discuss the terms privately.  Thank you.

John J
10-03-2005, 02:12 PM,
Re: seeking photos/video of high waves
Try to contact Roger Chapman. He has some shots of big waves (30-40'+) hitting the light house by the main gap in Milwaukee.

jon
10-03-2005, 03:37 PM,
Great.  Could you send me his contact info?
10-03-2005, 04:10 PM,
With the upcoming gale forecast coming I could go out and film the Manitowoc or Two Rivers Light house and piers this week.  I'll let you know what it turns out to look like.
10-03-2005, 04:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2005, 04:34 PM by john j.)
That would be great and I would appreciate it very much.  The worse the weather the better.  I want something that looks really scary.

Get a good shot of your boat being broached by a 30 foot wave.  Maybe something with some action like the prop spinning in mid air and then coming down on the breakwall or something.  Shoot a few flares off too for dramatic effect.
10-03-2005, 04:32 PM,

I like his boat.  Let's skip that last part...
10-03-2005, 08:10 PM,
I was thinking from the beach...  I could walk out, not take the boat.  Depending on the waves crashing over the breakwall someone might win funniest home video if they film me tring to crawl out there.
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM,
I remember as I was growing up in Port Washington that Vern Arndt had captured waves breaking over the breakwater during a winter storm.  He captured a photo of a man attempting to walk out to the lighthouse.  One photo had the man in the picture, then a wave over the breakwater, then no man.  He died, if I remember correctly.  At any rate, Port Publications may have still footage of waves over the lighthouse.  Can't imagine if they have video footage.
10-05-2005, 03:48 PM,

Just kiddin man..I wouldn't want to see your boat out in conditions like that.
10-05-2005, 05:31 PM,
Vern Arndt just does still photography.  I remember the photo in question though.  Pretty awesome stuff.

Jim