Remember me
Lost Password Register

Completed 6 wreck dives in four days on Lake Michigan!
09-13-2005, 02:52 PM,
Completed 6 wreck dives in four days on Lake Michigan!
LCM Marine Services and RYLO, Captained by my father William Myers took me out, as I completed 6 wreck dives in four days on Lake Michigan!

Monday, August 29th -- Arrival into the Racine, WI area and an immediate dive on the Lumberman. A nice and easy wreck in 65ft of water she went down in the 1800's and is relatively still intact. Purpose: Finish my Divermaster mapping project. Weather: Increasing waves at the end of the day, so we scrubbed the second dive! 

Tuesday, August 30th -- We sneeked out to the Wreck of the S.S. Wisconsin, 3 miles off the Kenosha shore. Dropping onto the bow of the wreck at 120ft the visibility was absolutely amazing. I could see for 80ft. The vis was the second best I have ever seen. Once, I was able to see from stem to stern over 204' but it was just 80ft today. Purpose: Wreck Dive! Weather: Building 4-6ft after the first dive so we head back in to safe harbor at about 26mph!

Wednesday, August 31st -- Thought we were going to skunked because the lake still had four footers at about 10a.m. However, throughout the day a big H high pressure system moved in and the lake laid flat. We got two dives on the S.S. Wisconsin. Port and Starboard penetrations, bow penetrations, what a great dive! On the second dive we splashed at about 7:30p.m. The sun had just dipped below the horzion and we were geared up and ready to splash! Nothing like a Night Wreck Dive, it was erie and totally cool! The bow penetrations, and port penetrations in the dark was cool! Also, I went to the port rail and looked over the side and looked down about 30ft to the bottom and you could see whatever light was available was reflecting off the sand bottom and it was one of the coolest macros I have ever seen in fresh water. If you think walls are cool you should have seen the side of this wreck towering forty feet off the bottom against the low light conditions of an endless sand bottom. It was just mesmorizing and that's not the narcosis talking either! Of course, there is nothing like hanging on your deco line in the dark either.

Thursday, September 1st -- We decided to take it easy. A nice low key day started with a Sea Sprint Scooter dive of the Wreck of the Kate Kelly, an inshore wreck that is spread out for miles in about 50ft of water. I can testify for that two because when we surfaced we had no idea where we were accept that we could tell we were approximately 1/2 to 1/4 mile from the boat. We saw more of that wreck in one hour than you could in countless dives. Thank god for scooters! The second dive was on the Lumberman...and so we ended the week where we started!

Next time I go down I think we will hit some more of the Milwaukee wrecks:

Prins Wilhelm, Car Ferry Milwaukee, Dredge, Gillen Tug etc.

Or we might try something just a little deeper!

St. Albans 165ft or Roscino 185ft

But I had a great time. It was definitely worth taking my own personal vacation time for. Next time will be just a long weekend though!
09-13-2005, 03:26 PM,
Re: Completed 6 wreck dives in four days on Lake Michigan!
Sounds like a nice time. 

You were going 26mph in 4-6 ft waves ???
09-15-2005, 09:12 AM,
26 MPH in 4-6 footers!
Yeah, why not! That is the advantage of a planing hull!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   RYLO 1.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.7 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-15-2005, 03:32 PM,
Re: Completed 6 wreck dives in four days on Lake Michigan!
you mentioned macros.  did you get some pics?  if so, post away!
09-16-2005, 08:52 AM,
Sorry no PICS!
No, no camera that day, sure wish I had one with me though. It's the kind of macro that will stay emblazened in my mind and make me think about the wreck everyday...until I dive her again!