Remember me
Lost Password Register

freshwater jellyfish
09-05-2005, 03:42 PM,
freshwater jellyfish
We saw quite alot of freshwater jellyfish  in Flynn's quarry this weekend. Can anyone tell me more about them? Are they in any lakes? Do they sting? Are they seasonal?
09-05-2005, 04:14 PM,
Re: freshwater jellyfish

This seems a little early in the fall for the jellyfish.  I have usually seen them in October.  They are pretty common in the quarries around Red Granite.  I have not seen them in other lakes.  I have heard of them in other quarries, but have never seen them.

They do not sting as far as I know.

I have been told that someone at UWSP looked into the history of these jellyfish and that they originate in South America, some how got to Europe and then were transported to central Wisconsin.  Ducks were somehow involved.  But I have not seen a good report and I am not sure of the details of the story.

Perhaps someone else knows a source.

Doug
09-05-2005, 05:00 PM,
Just got this from Google:

Isn't Flynn's Quarry private now?  Parking is gone and No Trespassing signs are up. 

How was the viz?
09-05-2005, 07:26 PM,
Years ago when I was teching OW actively they would make a short annual apperance at Pearl Lake.
09-08-2005, 09:33 PM,
Flynn's is leased by Precision Sports in Oshkosh. It's been cleaned up alot and a ladder installed at one of the better entry points. There is a school bus at about 40 feet for training and a platform at about 20 feet. Bob at Precision is easy to work with. The visability is usually about the same as Red Granite. He has been using bales of Barley straw to improve the water quality. Don't know if it works, but diving has been good this summer.