Remember me
Lost Password Register

Geocaching
06-17-2003, 08:59 PM,
Geocaching
For those who dont know what it is its a GPS thing

And its addicting

I saw Omicron has listed one in our area... Ill track it down..

Question is for those that do geocaching.... what about a scuba geocache? That would be fun prvided your GPS is waterproof ( dont dive with it) but if you have a dive flag like mine stick it in a plastic bag (even if it is waterproof) and take surface measurments...
Just an idea to kick around.
i think it would be fun.
06-18-2003, 06:07 AM,
Re:Geocaching
I think they already do that with shipwrecks Wink
06-18-2003, 08:51 AM,
;D

I've got a few floating around...I'm going to be heading up to my northern ones near the end of the month. It's getting close to retirement time for them as they've been there for a few years and they are getting OOOOLLLD.

I've really been wanting to do a scuba geocache for a long time. I've been thinking about a multi-part cache actually. You know, start with the first set of coords and that takes you to a stake in the ground with the next coords etched onto it...those take you to another stake...that takes you to another spot that has directions to an underwater location - ie, starting point, azimuth and distance. Once you find that location there will be another tag with another set of coordinates on it that would take you to the actual geocache.

I don't think you could place a TRUE geochache underwater...

There are other types of caches though - you could put a slate underwater with a code written on it - to successfully log the cache you would have to report the code to the cache owner...

Just a few ideas that I've had floating around for quite awhile.
06-18-2003, 11:12 AM,
Underwater orienteering is a big sport in the European countries. IF you check out SPOTRALSUB they have a whole section on it.

Much of it involves compass work and trying to makeit through the course using the least amount of air possible.

Jon
06-18-2003, 11:20 AM,
Cool. There is something similar to that in Copper Harbor. A Superior Divers dive shop has details on the course, but it's a fun shore dive to do if you've got the time. It's pretty much a five leg compass course that will show you a few neat little sights underwater...we did irt last year and had a really good time.
06-18-2003, 10:19 PM,
You guys must have alot of time on your hands. I'd rather spend mine finding ship wrecks as Chris H. mentioned. The older I get the more precious time is. When I get the time to go out on my boat, which is about twice a week, I don't have time to waste. There is so much history sunk in Lake Michigan its unbelieveable. I'd much rather follow a debris trail from a wreck then find somebodys way point.
Just my opinion.

Jim
06-19-2003, 05:55 AM,
Once you've dove each wreck at least 100 times you look for other things to do out there- freediving, scooter runs where no one else has gone, ect.

Most of these orienteering contests are done in places where the vis is lousy and it is used to work on your compass skills- any of the lakes in the Madison area in July would work out rather well.

Jon
06-19-2003, 06:04 AM,
Well, if I had a boat SwimJim I might spend a little more time trying to get to coordinates of shipwrecks instead of coordinates to Geocaches ;D
06-19-2003, 08:41 PM,
ALL IT TAKES IS $$$$$
If you got a lil extra my paypal account is xtracheese4me@yahoo.com
06-24-2003, 07:28 AM,
Yeah...heh. I'll take any extra as well ;D