Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving-Fortune Pond,Mi
08-28-2005, 06:54 PM,
Diving-Fortune Pond,Mi
We just had a great dive at Fortune Pond in Crystal Falls,Mi. The vis was at least 50 ft. Our question is -- does anyone know if there is any structure or anything special to see? We plan on diving it again next weekend.
Thanks, Sue
08-29-2005, 06:17 AM,
Re: Diving-Fortune Pond,Mi
I've got a few dives in it, but never really saw any "special" structure or anything.

Pink fins on this board has dove it a lot more than I  though - she may be able to offer some additional insight.

Amazing viz at that place though, isn't it?  I still can't believe how good it was!
07-25-2007, 05:24 PM,
Pink Fins and friends did a little diving in Fortune Pond on Saturday.  The visibility was great once again, well over 60 feet.  This is a nice place to dive and we were there on a great day.  There is a nice fishing dock at the lake and the lake is stocked with trout.  Saw a nice one during the dive.  At the end of the dock, you could look down and see the bottom.  That is over 30 feet down.  Nice.  There is a toilet on the site.  They do not allow motors on boats in the lake, talk about diver heaven.

We set up on the little parking area off to one side.  Note that I was using the diving Jeep on this adventure.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Fortune Pond - 1 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.46 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Trucks - 1 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 40.9 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-25-2007, 05:28 PM,
There are a small number of zebra muscles in the lake.  I do not know what they have to eat with the visibility of the lake.  But it is fun to smash the little devils.  Even more fun when minnows come to eat the soft zebra muscle insides.  Always something to do on a good dive.

Here are a few of the small fish trying to score some zebra muscle

.jpg_thumb   Minnow - 4 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Minnow - 9 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.34 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-25-2007, 05:29 PM,
Then they really go wild.

.jpg_thumb   Minnow - 1 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.91 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Minnow - 11 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.86 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-25-2007, 05:31 PM,
Gail and I had a great time diving.  This is a great spot that should be visited once a year with some good friends on a nice day.  I makes you wonder why everyone does not live in the UP.  Perhaps some of the other days.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Gail - 1 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 26.61 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Gail - 2 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-27-2007, 05:57 PM,
Did you have to show my new
yellow silk underwear ????? LOL
It gets sweaty in a drysuit.  I had to hang it out to dry for the second dive. 
It was fun, maybe we could set up a board meet later this summer at the pond.
Our motel was just $59 a night. 

The zebra muscles are one thing.  But the ants on the surface interview bite.  Gotta remember the bug spray for them

great pics

gail