Remember me
Lost Password Register

Recreationall TRIMIX
06-18-2003, 12:50 PM,
Re:Recreationall TRIMIX
The reason that the MOD is where it's at is because this mix is still mostly a nitrox mix- 02 limits depth and not the helium.

The idea of the course is to make exisiting dive profiles safer. If you want to go deeper you need the full blown course. Don't waste time with deep air courses that are quickly going the way of the dinosaur.

Also, deco times are not longer with trimix over air. The limiting factor is how much 02 you have in the mix. The more 02 the less deco time, but you also limit your depth at the same time.

On longer dives to the Wisconsin (max depth around 132') we find that we can actually deco out a few minutes faster using a 28/30 trimix rather than just nitrox, and much faster than air. OF course, these are all dives involving bottom times of 45 minutes or more. If you just bouncing down for a 15 minute dive you get out 1 minute faster on the nitrox mix. Super long deco times on trimix are just another one of the misconceptions about the gas that are out there.

Jon
06-18-2003, 01:31 PM,
I knew super long deco times weren't a result of using Trimix - it's a result of the dive you do. I could theoretically end up with hours of deco time on air if I did the righ dive.

I was just saying, this recreational Trimix class would be neat because it focuses a little less on doing any dive requiring tons of deco.

I suppose though, doing dives of any length to 150-180 are going to incure some deco no matter what gas you are using.

Guess I'm not thinking real well today =)
06-18-2003, 02:01 PM,
Dives that I do in the 150'-180' range now have longer bottom times on trimix and the same deco as when I did them on air.

Normally we run dives as "total dive times". THat means we plan the bottom time and the deco time to come out to a specific number- keeps things on schedule and makes the boat captains a lot happier as well. In the winter time we keep these dives to a total of 60 minutes dive time. In the summer we'll shoot for no more than 90 minute run times. Things can change rather quickly out on the great lakes and this builds in an added bit of safety.

On a trimix dive to 150' I can get 30 minutes of bottom time and still be back on the boat in 60 minutes. On a 45-50 miunte bottom time dive I am looking at about a 90 minute run time. If you did the same thing on air it would be a lot longer hang time.

Jon
06-18-2003, 02:08 PM,
That is awesome, Jon. You are right, trying to pull a bottom time of 30 minutes at 180 on air...heh. That would be a deco obligation of probably around an hour or so.

Hrm...tempting stuff.
06-18-2003, 02:31 PM,

of course at this point we are WELL beyond anyone's recreational trimix course and into a full-blown technical course (or three) Wink

scubert
06-19-2003, 06:31 AM,
The recreational trimix course is for shorter no-deco dives in the 70'-132' range. Not the longer profiles that I had mentioned. I mention those to try and dispell some of the many false rumors surrounding trimix. The more people learn about this gas the better.

I just found out that the course cost in MN. is $199 for the class and $29 for the book. At that price is beats and advanced nitrox/deco class that I know of. It should be the next step after nitrox and before a full-blown trimix course.

I can see the writing on the wall for 150' nitrox dives in the "deco" class coming to an end. Why would you want to stick a person in a risky situation by putting them on air, or nitrox, at those depths, in cold water, when you can move them through trimix much sooner, and safer? ???

Now that TDI has joined IANTD and GUE offering this class it won't be long before deep air diving is dead for good.

Jon
06-19-2003, 08:17 AM,
For that price, we even bother taking a Nitrox course?? The only problem I could see is availability of He around here....I don't think there is any, w/ the exception of welding supply shops.

And deep air is dead?! Naaahhhh...I like the buzz too much ;D
06-19-2003, 08:50 AM,
Nitrox is the prerequisit for the recreational trimix course.

Deep Blue is the only shop I know that is pumping large supplies of trimix in the state right now.

Diving to get a "buzz" is the only thing air is good for.

Jon
06-19-2003, 09:10 AM,
Makes enough sense...

I was kidding =)
06-19-2003, 05:42 PM,

I was kidding =)
Quote:

Yeah, but not much. The Recreational Trimix sounds very interesting. Somethng that I would like to try out by taking the class. I anticipate that Wazee Sport Center will be offering trimix fills in the near future. This would be great.

Doug

Doug