Remember me
Lost Password Register

Uwatec problems
06-02-2003, 04:04 PM,
Re:Uwatec problems
Also from the article.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   mn_bendsgraphic.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.2 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-02-2003, 06:07 PM,

This is great background data and perhaps a lesson to learn that is part of the new deco and computer discussion.

Thanks

Doug
06-02-2003, 10:31 PM,
Jon, your personal testiment really puts this story in perspective. Wow.

What I can't figure is why did that guy get in a plane so soon after doing multiple dives? I don't care what my computer says, you would have to put a gun to my head to get me on a plane before 12 hours.
--Jason
06-03-2003, 06:36 AM,
It all depends on how you deco and what kind of gasses that you use.

One of the nice things with the new RGBM tables and the Decoplanner program from GUE is how it changes the repetative dive rules and the flying after diving times.

Only a few years ago it was a rule that you had to wait 48 hours after a deco dive to fly. IF you dive the right gas, which is NOT air, and you do the RIGHT deco, which starts much deeper than was previously done, you can get on a plane in just a few hours- because the bubbles never got to form in your body to begin with.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's we would dive deep in the morning and wait ALL DAY LONG for our surface interval before we would go back to do another deep dive at the end of the day. That dive would have to be shorter and have more deco stacked on because of the tables involved.

Now, with proper gas and tables, I can go to 200' and go right back, using the exact same tables, after only a 3-4 hour surface interval. Plus, I have less post dive fatigue so I know it is working. One of the BIG misconceptions about trimix diving is that it takes longer to deco than on air. When we start pulling longer bottom times at depth we can actually get out sooner on timix than on air.

RGBM tables are not about doing shorter dives, but doing safer, and longer, dives than we could do in the past.

The point is that I could see getting on a plane after 6 hours IF I had done the right deco on the dive.

I think that the article also pointed out that blind trust in a dive computer is a dangerous thing. After having many dive computers fail on me during deco dives, and having to go to my tables for bailout, I finally just switched to tables from the start and sold the computers to buy more tanks.

Jon
06-03-2003, 07:01 AM,
Yeah, you'd get on a plane after a six (6) hour SI after doing dives using TODAY's methods and planning...but didn't this happen awhile ago while using some of the older information that recommended longer SI's in between dive and fly time? And if these guys were just diving Nitrox, that isn't anything all that special honestly...it's still regular recreational diving with probably nothing special for deco....or so I'd think.

06-03-2003, 08:37 AM,

Your right. Wink

Back then we didn't do that, but I also didn't follow my computer blindly either.

Jon
06-03-2003, 09:35 AM,
Smile

I was just wondering about that one...I haven't read a whole lot of info on the subject of times in between flying and diving, I've just used the general rule that you should wait around 24 hours.
06-03-2003, 10:40 AM,
I don't know if anything has been written about it in the recreational diving community. It has been covered quite a bit in the tec-diving community. Much of the most recent info comes out of the WKPP and GUE.

There are no hard set rules fro flying with these kind of dives. Each one is individualized to the dive. I can tell you that if your diving the right mixture of trimix, and decoing out with the proper gases, that "time to fly" times are way less than 24 hours. Every dive is different and every series of dives is different. The deep stops do make a big difference.

IF your really intersted in this, and other advanced, topics you should join the QUEST list. It is a paid list, but it has quite a bit of info from some really top notch divers.

Another good area to gain inforation is to join the DEEPMIDWEST tech-diving group. They are a group of divers from the midwest who specialize in deep water projects- mostly shipwreck surveys.

Gert is the vice-president of the Wisconsin chapter. I was a team member before I decided to switch over to freediving exclusively.

One of the team members, who runs the Ohio chapter, is Dr. Eddie Bryan. He is full cave and advanced trimix certified, plus he is a hyperbaric docotr by trade. He has given quite a few lectures on the RGBM tables and the problems of diving air past 100'.

He not only has the knowledge, he actually DOES the dives he lectures about.

There are quite a few other members of the club who have an incredible amount of experience. They even have levels, and projects, for newer divers. I think that the basic requirements to join are rescue diver and a basic nitrox card. One of the lower level projects they are working on is a full survey of the Norland. It is shallow (63') and allows for newer divers to gain experience before they go deeper. They also have surveys planned on the Wisconsin, Grace Channon, Lakeland and the Gunilda. That means there are projects for EVERY ability level.

The only other requirement for the club is that you are a non-smoker and that you must exercise on a regular basis- never trust a fat tec-instructor is my motto. Wink

Jon
06-03-2003, 10:51 AM,
Interesting stuff. I've heard of both of those groups/sources that you mention, but haven't really looked into to them too deeply. I don't have much of an interest in tech diving at the moment, with the exception of the decompression procedures.

And I'll use your tip to get my instructor picked out - I'll take him on one of my nightly runs and see if he dies before the end of it or not Wink