Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rebreathers
08-09-2005, 02:54 PM,
Rebreathers
I have been diving with a dolphin SCR rebreather.  I am thinking about taking the next step and going to a CCR.  Does anybody have recomendations on which type of CCR I should seriously look at?
08-09-2005, 03:52 PM,
Re: Rebreathers
The mnsuba.com site has several active rebreather divers.  I think a good number of the MN guys are using Inspirations.  To my knowledge, there aren't many on wiscuba. 

Dive Time?
08-09-2005, 03:57 PM,
You really have three choices, one the Meg, two the Kiss, and Three the Inspiration.  All are very good units, and each work the same with some small differences.  For example, the Meg and Inspiration are controlled using electronics.  That means that you will have o2 added to your breathing loop electroniclly.  The Kiss is a manual unit and o2 is added by a constant feed orfice and a manual add valve.  The Kiss you will only be able to dive to 300' before you would have to add a electronic 02 add system ( hammerhead).  The Inspiration and meg, are being used deeper than 300'.  I personally have the Kiss, and it wont really matter what one you choice, because they all work great with mixed gas, and the breathing resitance is better that OC.  I personally will never go back to OC after diving the CCR.  

You need to take a look at each unit and find the one that best fits your diving needs, and future needs.  My only regret is that I can't go deeper than 300' because the Kiss will not add 02 after that depth.  However I just returned home from diving in Two Rivers and dove some cool wrecks, to 220', and I have had the unit down to 250' and I would say that I not only had no problems but the unit was easy to fly, and great to breath from.  

Just my two cents.  
Look, learn, try, read, and decide.  
08-10-2005, 08:11 AM,
Have you heard about Dive Rite's new rebreather?  I think it is called the Optima.  I haven't heard much about it yet.
08-10-2005, 09:34 AM,
Yes the Optima is delayed in production.  That either means that the unit is having problems or the testers are seeing how far it will fly.  Either way I didn't like the data that was coming out.  Not to say the unit is bad, just not sure if I would purchase something that doesn't have any history.  You may find the unit works great with no problems, or you may have a never ending string of them. 

What is your end goal with a CCr.

08-10-2005, 10:08 AM,
The reason I want to go to a CCR are
1. No bubbbles -  quit, easier to get closer to sealife for pics
2. Breathing warm moist air - keeps me warmer, no dry mouth.
3. I want to dive more wrecks that are deeper - less deco, less tanks.
My biggest concern so far is that the co2 levels are not monitered.
You have to assume when you put in new scrubber material that it is
good for a certain time. 
09-02-2005, 07:34 AM,
If anybody is interested dive rite has finally released there new rebreather.  (O2ptima) Info can be found on dive rite website.  It looks promising but I have not heard of many reviews on it yet.
09-02-2005, 07:49 AM,
Cool.  Thanks for the heads up!  It'll be interesting to see how it works.  One day I'll have one of those toys Smile