Remember me
Lost Password Register

Getting Started
08-07-2005, 12:33 AM,
Getting Started
I've been certified for a while and am going to start diving again.  I'm on the quest for equipment and could use some feedback.

I plan on diving in wisconsin mainly.  I'm sure I'll do some warm water diving once and a while, but mainly, it'll be cold.  I plan on taking my advanced open water cource and start down a more technical path (wriecks, drysuit, etc)- so I'd like to get stuff that I won't outgrow right away.  However, I can't just go buy the best of everything as I'm on somewhat of a budget. 

Here is my tentative equipment plan now.

BC - Dive rite, or Halcyon backplate and single tank wing wing (27#?)

Wetsuit - bodyglove 7mm farmer john 2 peice, or 7mm one piece w/ 5mm undervest and hood.  I've been told that you can send them in to custom fit you if needed.  I'm kind of tall and skinny so the torso's in many suits are kinda loose on me.  Anyone done this and had good/bad experiences ?

Regs - was thinking the apex tx50.  I've read they have non-standard sized hozes?  Is this true?  Is this a problem?  I found a used set on ebay from a guy in chipewa falls that seems priced reasonable.  I feel kinda weird about buying online like this, but i'm not sure if its a warranted feeling.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Assuming they pass inspection at a dive shop, they should be good to go, but still.  something about life support from ebay creeps me out.

Bottom Timer - I don't have a load of cash, so I don't know if a computer is in the cards for me right away.  Is there a really solid Bottom timer anyone can suggest?

I'd like to get some of the stuff used to save some $, but don't want to get screwed on quality.  Any thoughts on buying used?  I'd especially like to buy some of the odds and ends used, like weights, knife, etc.  Thats the stuff that can really nickle and dime you to death.  Anyone have any old gear they're getting rid of?

Got some great service today when I stopped at Deep Blue () today.  Rich was really nice and helpful.  Looking forward to sending some business their way. 

Thanks for any comments. 

/Matt
08-07-2005, 04:43 AM,
Re: Getting Started
I'm not a tech diver, but I have more then a few dives under my belt.  Your list looks okay. I would forget the wet suit and go dry.  You'll be going dry eventully anyway.  Reaserch dive computers.  They are not as expensive as you think.  A bottom timer would make a nice backup though.  I'll let the others chime in on the rest. Good luck and dive safe.

Jim
08-07-2005, 06:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2005, 06:21 AM by schultz.)
Nice list... couple of things I might suggest. If you want a single-tank wing, you may want something with a little more lift than a 27 pounder. 27's are ok for warm water diving, but around here we tend to use a little more lead than you would in the Caribbean, and as such you may want to consider a 36 or even 40 pound lift capacity. I know the Halcyon Eclipse is a nice a durable option in the 40 pound.

I agree with swimjim on the drysuit - especially if you're going to stick to diving in these parts. The problem with drysuits is that they can be expensive. I recommend buying used for the first one to save on costs. Ebay is great for these things. I've gotten used drysuits off Ebay for my wife and three others for about $350 on average, and they've all been in great condition.

Again like swimjim says, research dive computers. I highly recommend going to scubadiving.com for this. In fact their latest round of computers reviews . But there are other reviews that will educate you on the differences in algorithms, their histories as well as development. , , , .

Lastly, if you cannot read reviews, try before you buy. Some of this scuba equipment can be really expensive, but many local dive shops may rent some newer items to you, and discount the rental price off the cost if you buy it.

Hope this helps.
08-07-2005, 05:24 PM,
Thanks for the input.  The only reason I wasn't considering dry right away was the price.  I'll start looking on ebay and such for a dry suit.  Any brand recomendations?  Do people like the shell type?  Neoprene?  Seems like shell is more popular...

I'll look into a bigger wing. 

I'll also look into computers. 
08-07-2005, 06:43 PM,
Good start.  I use the DiveRite RecWing w/ a stainless steel plate.  I've used that setup diving AL80's in Cozumel w/ a 3MIL suit, to cave diving w/ double 104's, full drysuit and deco bottles.  VERY versatile.

A good, inexpensive bottom timer is the Uwatec "hockey puck".  It's a bottom timer/depth gauge...

Suunto & Uwatec both make nice entry level computers as well.

Shell drysuits are the norm around here.  Any brand will do to be honest - you'll find people that will argue brand name, but find something that fits you.  I was able to dive for quite awhile w/ a 7MM wetsuit, but I was able to enjoy my diving a lot more with a drysuit, as well as extend my diving season.  It's worth it in the long run.  A high quality 7MM wetsuit will run you $200-$300.  You can get a drysuit used for twice that.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.  Most of us on the board have gone through this several times - we started diving, bought a ton of gear...then a few years down the road threw it all away and bought quality gear Smile  We hate watching others make the same mistakes Smile
08-07-2005, 06:47 PM,
Definitely go with the drysuit.  Some of the inexpensive suits like the Viking xtreme and Whites are decent.  You can get those under $750 new if you search around. Also remember you need undies.  You can get a set of softwear around $150 to start.

I think the 27# wing is fine for single tanks in local waters.  It really depends on how much lead and accessories you carry. I use a 36# wing.

--Jason
08-07-2005, 06:54 PM,

Thats exactly the type of mistake I'm trying to avoid.  Big Grin  I was really excited to read so many positive things about diving backplates.  Versatile and so simple! 

I think I'm going to visit some of the LDS around milwaukee and see if I can try a few drysuits on.  I've never worn one and am not sure how the sizes work.  I have a feeling that most stock suits for my height will be like a tent.  Big Grin
08-07-2005, 08:09 PM,
I think Halcyon makes a better single tank wing than Dive Rite.  They both make nice stuff, but Halcyon has the upper hand on that.  If you get the Halcyon wing, make sure that you keep the o-rings lubed in the inflator. Even after the recall I have seen a few act up.

Apeks regs are great, and you won't need to replace them to get into tech diving, you'll just need 4-6 more Wink

All of the rest of the things said are right on track.

Deep Blue just sold a bunch of rental drysuits.  I'm not sure how many new suits will be in rentals.  Nearly all of the people I dive with have shell suits.  Some Bare, some DUI, and some Diving Concepts.  They are all pretty good, but make sure you get a suit that fits you well.  How tall are you?  I am 6'2 or so and wear a Bare Large tall.
08-07-2005, 08:59 PM,

Yes undies are important. I recommend the polar-tec fleece variety. If (more like when) it gets wet, it tends to wick the cold water away from your body during a dive. If you want to keep it cheap, I recommend just getting stuff from an outfitter like REI or Gander Mountain. You can usually buy fleece jackets and snow pants that are the exact same thing.

The problem with diving is that they get to mark the price up about 200% because it's "SCUBA" equipment. I usually look at outfitters, hardware stores, and the like for the simple dive stuff before buying actually scuba stuff.
08-08-2005, 08:09 AM,

I'm 6'2 about 180#

I was wondering about that.  Good to hear. 

One other thing I was wondering:  Can you mix the wings and backplates of different brands?  i.e. a halcyon wing on a diveright bp?  I didn't look close enough at the backplates when I was in the store last...