Remember me
Lost Password Register

3d Tools
08-22-2005, 02:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-22-2005, 03:11 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Re: 3d Tools

Yes; yes; yes; yes; and yes!

It does a pretty good job of extrapolating and aligning lines from one image to the next but it does have it's limits. I tried piecing together a collage of photos taken standing right in front of the fresnel from the lighthouse perch rail, but it ended up being kind of funky. I'm thinking plus or minus 10 degrees seems about right, at least in panorama mode. In 3d mode, spacing, interval and framing are really critical or you end up with jumpiness and speed issues. I can see what claymation animators go through to get realistic movement from their figures. So the jury is still out on the 3d aspect of something large like a wreck, but I'm thinking this technology still might be in it's infancy. Chances are if we had raw images taken to get 'in the ballpark' now, we'll only be able to improve on them later with whatever image morphing software they'll come up with later. I think you're on to something with multiple 360s at different axis', there's no reason why eventually someone could come up with a spherical panorama program (maybe we should design it?) or even better yet a program that can take some images similar to the 3d function on this prog, wireframe or nurb model what it sees, and reskin the image to let you move around 3 dimensionally in the image- all automatically of course, as opposed to the labor-intensive and cumbersome methods we're stuck with now, of course. That's what intrigues me, is being able to put non-divers into the image and let them see what we see, or better yet, let us see what we see, but more thoroughly, at the leisure of our home, and without the narcosis and cold Wink

As far as locations, i'm thinking this might be a good one to test on something like the Rouse, the Vernon, the Car Ferry or maybe even the Willy. 

Maybe a panorama inside the chain locker or flicker of the car ferry or better yet a 3d/surround image of the wheelhouse might be neat. Or a panorama from the deck of the Rouse? How about a panorama from inside the Willy?

What a neat way to re-experience and visualize things that few people get to see (like that panorma atop Everest, case in point)...

These below are some attempts that came out ^funky^ so you can see where the limits are. Notice the doubling of some images that were a little too far off axis. I think if you jump at too much of an interval with panoramas also, it doesn't know how to fit all your images into 360 degrees, and some distortion results. A nice head on your tripod with marked degrees (they sell them on their website) is a good thing to have. I think it still does a pretty good job with the information that it has. Notice the warping of the frames on the lighthouse and the double vision- flag, stairway, and boat in the bottom frame. But it still looks like a singular photo, if you didn't know what you were looking at...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   lighthouse top.jpg_thumb (Size: 14.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   lighthouse lower2.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.6 KB / Downloads: 0)

Messages In This Thread
3d Tools - by WIdiver_Paul - 07-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Re: 3d Tools - by WIdiver_Paul - 07-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Re: 3d Tools - by WIdiver_Paul - 07-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Re: 3d Tools - by jasondbaker - 07-30-2005, 09:46 PM
3d tools, Mt. Everest revisited - by WIdiver_Paul - 08-14-2005, 02:18 AM
3d tools, Mt. Everest revisited - by WIdiver_Paul - 08-14-2005, 02:23 AM
Re: 3d Tools - by Carvendive - 08-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Re: 3d Tools - by WIdiver_Paul - 08-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Re: 3d Tools - by ethanb - 08-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Re: 3d Tools - by Carvendive - 08-23-2005, 12:51 PM