Remember me
Lost Password Register

For the instructors out there.....
06-10-2003, 09:25 AM,
For the instructors out there.....
For all of you dive instructors out there. Imagine having this happen during openwater dive number one! Wink

Jon

P.S. I pulled this off of the MNSCUBA news group.

Missing woman's body found
Chisholm resident reported disappeared last October
Charles Ramsay
Mesabi Daily News
Last Updated: Saturday, June 07th, 2003 11:19:51 PM

LAKE LEANDER – The body of Carol Jean Gunderson was pulled from about 15 feet of water in Lake Leander Saturday, after a scuba diving class came upon her submerged car about 100 feet from shore.

The location was about 14 miles northeast of her Chisholm home, from which she disappeared on Oct. 7.

Authorities are investigating, but so far are not treating it as a homicide, Sheriff’s Lt. Tim Harkonen, of the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office in Hibbing, said Saturday evening.

An autopsy is scheduled this morning, and a news conference is set for 2 p.m. today at the Sheriff’s Office at the Hibbing Courthouse.

The scuba diving class was conducting a dive about 10:30 a.m. Saturday near a Forest Service beach, and “they came upon it,’’ Harkonen said.

Upon closer inspection, a body was noticed in the vehicle, and the notified the sheriff’s department.

Sheriff’s deputies, Chisholm Police Department officers and St. Louis County Rescue Squad members arrived on scene, and retrieved the vehicle, a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero. The body of Gunderson, 48, was located inside.

Chisholm Police Chief Scott Erickson personally “took care of the notification of the family,’’ Harkonen said.

She had been reported missing to Chisholm police Oct. 8. Law enforcement agencies had been checking numerous sites for her since then.

The investigation is continuing. Others assisting included The county Medical Examiner’s Office, U.S. Forest Service and Tall Pine Scuba Divers.

After Gunderson’s disappearance, an all-out effort took place to find the mother of two, who worked part time at the Hillcrest Nursing Home in Hibbing.

“We immediately checked with every one of our relatives and everyone who knew of her,” said Judy Henry, her sister, in a Feb 13 article. “We checked with her doctors, hospitals, clinics, mall parking lots, airports, everything – but we came up empty.”

Gunderson had bipolar disorder. “I talked to her Sunday evening and she seemed fine,” said Henry, in the Feb. 13 MDN article. “The next day she was seen filling up her tank and buying cigarettes at the Lucky 7 here in Chisholm, but we haven’t seen her since. It’s baffling.”

Henry said Gunderson gave no indication she was leaving town. In fact, she left her door open and her coffee pot on as if she was going to come right back home.

o

Chisholm Tribune Press editor Brain Anderson contributed to this article.
06-10-2003, 11:51 AM,
not an instructor, but YIKES!
that's one hell of a first dive to log.

PSI Start:2900 PSI End: 150
15' for 20 minutes,
found body in submerged car.
Hyper-ventilated.
I think I should find a different hobby.
Wink
06-11-2003, 07:16 AM,
Re:For the instructors out there.....
Yeah, that would definitely be quite the introduction to the sport...wow.

I don't think I'd ever really want to be surprised by finding a body sometime - it would just weird me out a little too much I think.
06-11-2003, 01:34 PM,
I know this dive site and the guys at the shop fairly well. It was a pretty big surprise for them. The sheriff dept wasn't able to reach any of their dive team members so the shop instructors helped out with the recovery.

We are always finding stolen cars, bikes, sleds, etc in the mine pits in northern MN.
--Jason
06-11-2003, 01:46 PM,

I'm cool with that...bodies on the other hand :o